The Segway RMP is a new
robotic platform provided by
DARPA and used in conjunction
with our ongoing MARS (Mobile
Autonomous Robot Software) and MARS-2020 projects.
Our goals are to interface the MissionLab system
to the RMP, to understand the unique capabilities (and needs)
of the platform,
and to integrate it into our other DARPA research.
Specifically, we are interested in
- Using machine learning techniques on the RMP, at five different
levels in our software architecture (developed under MARS),
- Using the RMP as a member of a team of air and ground robotic
platforms in MARS-2020,
- Understanding the effects of terrain on the RMP, including
loose footing and uneven surfaces,
- Developing sensor techniques that are effective for terrain
characterization and work in spite of (or are helped by) the
inherent oscillation of the RMP, and
- Encapsulating sensor algorithms as perceptual schemas to be
used in conjunction with motor schemas in our architecture.