Spring 2011 CS 3651 Calendar
Week 1: January 14th-21st - Introduction & Background
- Course Syllabus
- List of Skill Demonstrations
- Class Webpage from the Spring 2009 class
- SD 1 (T-Square usage) Assigned
- Presentation Template
- Presentation Grading Sheet
- Assigned Reading:Section 50.1-50.7 of the Faculty Handbook: GT IP Ownership Policy
- Questions you should be able to answer after reading the above:
- Who owns the intellectual property rights to an invention I develop in CS 3651?
- If something I make in CS 3651 results in a million dollar licensing deal, how much of that money will I receive?
- Monday is a School Holiday! No Class on Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Week 2: January 24th-28th- Safety, Electricity, Basic components
- Rube Goldberg Machine Assigned.
- Assigned Reading:Architecture Shop Manual
- Presentation: Jay - Safety.ppt
- Read: Circuit Basics
- Watch video: Introduction to Multimeters
- Watch video: Using Multimeters
- Watch Video: CS 3651 - Introduction to Circuit Schematics
- Watch Video: LED's
- Resistor Color Code Chart
- LAB: multimeter_resistor_leds.pdf
- Watch Video: Bit Whackers
- Python module for speaking to serial devices
- Assigned Readings: USB Bit Wacker project page and Firmware D 1.4.5 documentation
Week 3: January 31st- Feb 4th - Circuits
- R.G.M. Website / Video Assigned
- Project Brainstorming ideas from Spring 2009
- Watch Video: CS 3651 - Introduction to Resistors
- Watch Video: Voltage Dividers
- Watch Video: CS 3651 - Pull Up Resistors
- Watch Video: Sensing with a Switch
- Watch Video:Pull Down Resistors
- Watch video: Sensing with a Photo-resistor
- Wikipedia entry on Pull-up/down resistors
- LAB: voltage_divider_resistors.pdf
- LAB: voltage_div_photocell.pdf
- Sources for parts:
- New Parts:
- Digikey - Expensive, but have the best selection.
- Mouser - Good selection. Kits & Parts:
- SparkFun - Lots of good sensors and pre-built modules for Radio/GPS/Cellular projects.
- Ramsey Electronics - Lots of great kits and DIY stuff.
- Jameco Electronics Surplus:
- MPJA - Surplus house located in Fl - Good surplus and fast shipping to GA.
- All Electronics Corp. - Surplus house.
- American Science & Surplus - Lots of non-electronics surplus plus motors, etc. Local:
- ACK Electronics - Local Ham radio / Electronics shop located on Northside drive.
- Salvation Army thrift store on the South edge of campus
Week 4: February 7th-11th - CNC Manufacturing
- Monday February 7th: Rube Goldberg Machine Judging
- Wednesday February 9th: Project Idea Slide(s) due before 6pm
- Group 1 - Wednesday Feb 9th - TSRB basement lab - Laser Cutter & 3D printer Demo 12:05-1:25pm
- Group 2 - Friday Feb 11th - TSRB Basement Lab - Laser Cutter & 3D printer demo. 12:05pm-1:25pm
- RGM Video/Website Due: Sunday Feb 13th!
Week 5: February February 14th-18th - Controllers & Actuators
- Project Brainstorming Presentations
- Read: Driving an inductive load from a TTL signal
- Watch Videos: Switches & Relays part1 part2, and Using a transistor as a switch
- Wikipedia article on H-Bridge
- LAB: Current Buffer (Transistor Switch)
- Watch: Lego Turing Machine
- Watch video: Water Propelled Jet Pack
- Balsa Wood Bridge assigned.
- West Point bridge simulator
- This video shows the destructive testing of Balsa Wood Bridges from CS 3651 in the spring of 2010.
Week 6: February - February 21st-25th - H-Bridge
- Watch Video: H-Bridge
- Lab(s): Manual H-Bridge and Motor Driver Current Buffer
- Simple SCRUMM project management
- Watch:Salt & Pepper Robot Arm
- Lab: full-H-Bridge.pdf
Week 7: February - 28th - March 4th - Mechanical Engineering
- Monday Feb 28th: Balsa Wood Bridge Testing
- Read about using a Hall Effect sensor and look at the LM335AZ datasheet
- Watch Video: CS 3651-Power-Regulator Schematic photo:here
- Watch Video: CS 3651 - Using a Darlington Pair to make a touch sensor
- Watch: Siftables, the toy block that think
- Review Questions
- Wednesday March 2nd - Midterm EXAM
- Project Teams Formed
Week 8: March - 7th-11th
- Final Project Proposal Assigned
- Watch Video: CS 3651 - Introduction to Capacitors
- Useful conversion page for pico/nano Farad.
- LAB: Resistor Capacitor lab
- Etching Circuit Boards with household chemicals
- Datasheets for the LM 555 and LM556 chips.
- LAB: 555 Timer Lab
- Watch:Molding/casting a face and Cavity Pour (and optionally: Molding/casting a hand)
- Sources for copyright free and creative commons media:
- Sunday March 12th - Project Proposals Due
Week 9: March - 14th-18th
- GES-5307 datasheet (Switching NPN transistors, we have some in the lab)
- Review of conductive thread for electronic textiles
- Watch Video: Darlington Pairs (cascaded transistors) as a touch sensor
- Read: One-page PDF on Darlington Pairs
- Lab: Darlington Pair
Spring Break: March 21-25th
Week 10: - March 28th - April 1st
- Project Website part 1
- Pre-class videos. Digital to Analog Converter Parts: 1, 2 and 3
- Conductive Fabric Projects
Week 11: April 4th - 8th
Week 12: - April 11th-15th
- Project Work / Individual Presentations
- WiiMote for Linux: Instructions
Week 13: - April 18-22nd
- Monday April 18th: Final Project Functionality Grading!
- Wed April 20th: Lab Cleanup!
Week 14: April - 25th-29th
- Monday April 25th: Final Project Demo!
- Wednesday April 27th: Final Project Video Due
- Friday April 29th: Final Project Website due