Summer 2013 CS 3651 Calendar
Week 1: May 13th-17th - Introduction, Safety, Electricity, Basic components
- Course Syllabus
- Presentation Grading Sheet
- Assigned Reading:Section 50.1-50.7 of the Faculty Handbook: GT IP Ownership Policy
- Questions you should be able to answer after reading the above:
- Who owns the intellectual property rights to an invention I develop in CS 3651?
- If something I make in CS 3651 results in a million dollar licensing deal, how much of that money will I receive?
- Assigned Reading:Architecture Shop Manual
- Presentation: Jay - Safety.ppt
- Read: Circuit Basics
- Watch video: Introduction to Multimeters
- Watch video: Using Multimeters in a circuit
- Watch Video: Introduction To Breadboards
- Watch Video: CS 3651 - Introduction to Circuit Schematics
- Watch Video: Introduction to Resistors
- Resistor Color Code Chart
- Watch Video: Introduction to Capacitors
- Useful conversion page for pico/nano Fared.
- Watch Video: LED's
- Demo 0 - Rubber Band Car Due May 28th.
- Demo 1 - Voltage Dividers, Multimeters, and soldering. Due May 21st.
- Demo 2 - Arduino Teensy Due May 23rd.
Week 2: May 20th-24th Circuits
- Watch Video: How to Solder
- Watch Video: How to remove solder!
- Watch Video: ProtoBoards
- Watch Video: CS 3651 - Pull Up & Pull Down Resistors
- Watch Video: CS 3651 - Pull Up Resistors
- Watch Video: CS 3651 - Pull Down Resistors
- Wikipedia entry on Pull-up/down resistors
- Watch Video: Sensing with a Switch
- Watch video: Sensing with a Photo-resistor
- Sources for parts:
- New Parts:
- Digikey - Expensive, but have the best selection.
- Mouser - Good selection. Kits & Parts:
- SparkFun - Lots of good sensors and pre-built modules for Radio/GPS/Cellular projects.
- Ramsey Electronics - Lots of great kits and DIY stuff.
- Jameco Electronics Surplus:
- MPJA - Surplus house located in Fl - Good surplus and fast shipping to GA.
- All Electronics Corp. - Surplus house.
- American Science & Surplus - Lots of non-electronics surplus plus motors, etc. Local:
- ACK Electronics - Local Ham radio / Electronics shop located on Northside drive.
- Salvation Army thrift store on the South edge of campus
- Demo 3 - Photoresistor sensing due Thursday May 30th
- Spring 2009 Project Brainstorming ideas
- Spring 2011 Project Brainstorming Presentations
- Sunday May 26th: Project Brainstorm Slide(s) due before 11:55pm slide template.ppt
Week 3: May 27-31st - Project Brainstorming, Arduinos
- Tuesday May 28th - Brainstorming Presentations
- Idea Videos:
- Demo 4 - Microcontroller Switches due Tuesday June 4th
Week 4: June 3rd - 7th - DAC & PWM
- Form Project Teams due Tuesday June 4th.
- Watch videos: Digital to Analog Converter Parts: One, Two and Three
- Demo 5 - DAC & PWM due Thursday June 6th
Week 5: June 10-14th - Projects, Power & Oscilloscopes
- Demo 6 - Power due Tuesday June 11th
- Watch Videos: Full Wave Rectifier part one and two
- Watch Video: Using an Oscilloscope
- Watch video: What is the HPS140?
- Watch video: HPS140 User menu Demo
- Watch Video: HPS 140 Quick Measuring HOWTO
- Watch Video: Internal Resistance (IR)
- Watch video: How to test the IR of a battery.
- Watch Video: Power: P=IV and resistor wattage
- Watch Video: Power: Linear Regulators
- Project Proposals due Tuesday June 11th.
- Simple SCRUMM project management
- Demo 7 - 1 bit ADC due Thursday June 13th
Week 6: June 17th-21st - Switching Current
- Watch Videos: Switches & Relays part1 part2, and Using a transistor as a switch
- Demo 8 - Transistors due Tuesday June 18th
- Read: One-page PDF on Darlington Pairs
- Watch Video: CS 3651 - Using a Darlington Pair to make a touch sensor
- Demo 9 - H-Bridge due Thursday June 20th
- Watch Video: H-Bridge
- Wikipedia article on H-Bridge
- Review Questions
- Read: Driving an inductive load from a TTL signal
- Etching Circuit Boards with household chemicals
- Datasheets for the LM 555 and LM556 chips.
- Read about using a Hall Effect sensor and look at the LM335AZ datasheet
- Watch:Molding/casting a face and Cavity Pour (and optionally: Molding/casting a hand)
- Sources for copyright free and creative commons media:
Week 7: June 24th-28th - Motors & Project Work
- Skill Demo 10 - DC Speed control / Servo / Stepper
- A Stepper motor video
- 6 lead unipolar stepper specsheet (PF35T-48L4)
- Making electricity using a stepper motor
- SD 10.1 Due Tuesday June 25th
- SD 10.2 & 10.3 Due Thursday June 27th
Week 8: July 1st-5th - Project Work
- Project Website part 1 due Tuesday July 2nd
- Interesting links:Billiard Robots Foosball Robots
- Review of conductive thread for electronic textiles
- Conductive Fabric Projects
Week 9: July 8-12th: Project Work
- Project Status Report - Tuesday July 9th
- SD 10.4 & 10.5 Due Thursday July 11th
Week 10: July 15-19th: Project Work
- Project Functionality Grading: Thursday July 18th
Week 11: July 22nd - 26th: Project Work
- Final Project Demo : Tuesday July 23rd - CoC Picnic Area 10:30-11:30am
- Lab Cleanup! Thursday July 25th
- Project Website Pt 2 - Thursday July 25th