NETWORKING AREA EXAM READING LIST
Deprecated: January 2009
Please refer to the revised guidelines.
The following document was last Revised: September 2003
Students are expected to be familiar
with basic networking principles including
an understanding of:
- Basic protocol architecture
- Network access principles and
- Routing and transport functions
(including routing algorithms
and congestion and flow control)
- Network and client/server
- Internet protocols and
This material can be found in many of the introductory textbooks such
- L.L.Petterson and B.S.Davie,
Computer Networks: A Systems
Approach (second edition)
- Leon-Garcia, COMMUNICATION
NETWORKS, McGraw-Hill (second
- J.Kurose and K.Ross, Computer
Networking, A top down
approach featuring the Internet
- Stevens, "TCP/IP Illustrated,
volume 1", Addison Wesley.
- Comer, "Internetworking with
TCP/IP, volumes 1 and 3",
Parts of this material and some of the readings below are covered in CS6250
The following reading list represents some of the more advanced
that the student is expected to have read and digested prior to taking
- The Design Philosophy of the
DARPA Internet Protocols,
D. D. Clark, ACM SIGCOMM 1988.
- A Retrospective View of ATM,
Charles Kalmanek, ACM CCR,
- End-To-End Arguments in System
Design, Jerome H. Saltzer,
David P. Reed, and David D. Clark, ACM Transactions on Computer
- Rethinking the Design of the
Internet: end to end arguments
vs. the brave new world, D.D. Clark and M.S.Blumenthal, ACM
on Internet Technology, 2000.
- Is IP going to take over the
world (of communications)?
Pablo Molinero-Fernandez, Nick McKeown, Hui Zhang HotNets-I, 2002
- A 50-Gb/s IP router, C.Partridge
et al., IEEE/ACM Transactions
on Networking, 1998.
- SLIP: A Scheduling Algorithm for
Nick McKeown, IEEE Transactions on Networking, 1999.
- Survey and Taxonomy of IP Address
M. A. Ruiz-Sanchez, Ernst W. Biersack, and Walid Dabbous, IEEE Network
- Algorithms for Packet
Classification, Pankaj Gupta and
Nick McKeown, IEEE Network, March 2001.
- Cost-Effective Flow Table Designs
for High-Speed Internet
Routers: Architecture and Performance Evaluation, Xu, J. and Singhal,
IEEE Transactions on Computers, 2002.
Unicast and Multicast Routing
- Distributed, Scalable Routing
Based on Link-State Vectors,
J. Behrens and J.J. Garcia-Luna-Aceves, ACM SIGCOMM 1994.
- Loop-Free Routing Using Diffusing
Garcia-Luna-Aceves, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, February 1993.
- End-to-End Routing Behavior in
the Internet, V. Paxson,
IEEE/ACM Trans. on Networking, Oct 1997.
- Delayed Internet Routing
Convergence, C. Labovitz, A.
Ahuja, A. Bose, F. Jahanian, ACM SIGCOMM 2000.
- The End-to-end Effects of
Internet Path Selection, Stefan
Savage, Andy Collins, Eric Hoffman, John Snell and Tom Anderson, ACM
- Multicast Routing in Datagram
Internetworks and Extended
LANs, S. Deering and D. Cheriton, ACM Transactions on Computer Systems
- An Architecture for Wide-Area
Multicast Routing, S. Deering,
D. Estrin, D. Farinacci, V. Jacobson, C.-G. Liu, and L. Wei, ACM
- The Evolution of Multicast: From
the MBone to Inter-Domain
Multicast to Internet2 Deployment, K. Almeroth, IEEE Network,
Transport Protocols and Congestion
- Congestion Avoidance and Control,
V. Jacobson and M.
Karels, ACM SIGCOMM 1988.
- Analysis of the Increase/Decrease
Algorithms for Congestion
Avoidance in Computer Networks, D. Chiu and R. Jain, Journal of
Networks and ISDN, June 1989.
- Random Early Detection (RED)
gateways for Congestion
Avoidance, Floyd, S., Jacobson, V, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking,
- TCP Vegas: End to End Congestion
Avoidance on a Global
Internet, L. S. Brakmo and L. L. Peterson, IEEE Journal of Selected
in Communication, October 1995.
- Simulation-based Comparisons of
Tahoe, Reno, and SACK
TCP, K. Fall, and S. Floyd, ACM CCR, July 1996.
- Modeling TCP Throughput: A Simple
Model and its Empirical
Validation, J. Padhye, V. Firoiu, D. Towsley and J. Kurose, IEEE/ACM
on Networking, April 2000.
- Equation-Based Congestion Control
for Unicast Applications,
Sally Floyd, Mark Handley, Jitendra Padhye, and Joerg Widmer, ACM
Quality of Service
- Service Disciplines For
Guaranteed Performance Service
in Packet-Switching Networks, H. Zhang, Proceedings of the IEEE, Oct
- Latency-Rate Servers: A General
Model for Analysis of
Traffic Scheduling Algorithms Dimitrios Stiliadis, Anujan Varma,
Transactions on Networking, Oct 1998.
- Providing Guaranteed Services
Without Per Flow Management,
I.Stoica and H.Zhang, ACM SIGCOMM 1999.
- Proportional differentiated
services: delay differentiation
and packet scheduling, Constantinos Dovrolis, Dimitrios Stiliadis,
Ramanathan, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Feb 2002.
- On fundamental tradeoffs between
delay bounds and computational
complexity in packet scheduling algorithms, Jun Xu, Richard J. Lipton,
- Theories and Models for Internet
Quality of Service,
Victor Firoiu, Jean-Yves Le Boudec, Don Towsley, Zhi-Li Zhang,
of IEEE, Aug 2002.
- On the Self-Similar Nature of Ethernet Traffic
Version), W.Leland, M.Taqqu, W.Willinger, D.Wilson, IEEE/ACM
on Networking, Feb 1994.
- End-to-End Internet Packet
Dynamics, V. Paxson, ACM SIGCOMM
- A Quantitative Comparison of
Graph-based Models for Internet
Topology, Ellen W. Zegura, Kenneth Calvert and M. Jeff Donahoo,
Transactions on Networking, Dec 1997.
- On Power-Law Relationships of the
Faloutsos, Faloutsos, and Faloutsos, ACM SIGCOMM, 1999.
- On the Constancy of Internet Path
Properties, Yin Zhang,
Nick Duffield, Vern Paxson, and Scott Shenker, Internet Measurement
- End-to-End Available Bandwidth:
Dynamics, and Relation with TCP throughput, Manish Jain and
Dovrolis, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Aug 2003.
- The Darknet and the Future of
Content Distribution, Biddle,
England, Peinado, Willman, 2002 ACM Workshop on Digital Rights
- Application-layer anycasting: a
server selection architecture
and use in a replicated web service, E. Zegura, M. Ammar, Z. Fei and S.
IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking.
- Chord: A scalable peer-to-peer
lookup service for Internet
applications, I. Stoica, R. Morris, D. Karger, M. Kaashoek, H.
Proceedings of ACM Sigcomm, August 2001.
- Resilient Overlay Networks, D.
Andersen and H. Balakrishnan
and F. Kaashoek and R. Morris, Proceedings of ACM Symposium on
Systems Principles, Oct 2001
- A Measurement Study of
Peer-to-Peer File Sharing Systems,"
Stefan Saroiu, P. Krishna Gummadi, and Steven D. Gribble. Proceedings
Multimedia Computing and Networking 2002 (MMCN'02), January 2002.
- On the Fundamental Tradeoffs
between Routing Table Size
and Network Diameter in Peer-to-Peer Networks, Xu, J., Kumar, A., and
X., IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Nov 2003.
- Multicast Delivery of Web Pages
OR How to make Web servers
pushy, Ammar, M. H., Almeroth, K., Clark, R. J., Fei, Z., Proceedings
the Workshop on Internet Server Performance, Madison, Wisconsin, June
- Enabling Conferencing
Applications on the Internet Using
an Overlay Multicast Architecture Yang-hua Chu, Sanjay G. Rao,
Seshan, Hui Zhang, Proceedings of SIGCOMM 2001, San Diego, August 2001.
- Video Multicast over the
Internet, Li, X., Ammar, M.
H., Paul, S., IEEE Network Magazine, Vol. 13. No. 2, March/April 1999,
- Video Streaming: Concepts,
Algorithms, and Systems, Apostolopoulos,
Tan and Wee, HP Technical Report, Sept. 2002
- Multicast Video-on-Demand
Services, Huadong Ma, Kang
G. Shin, ACM Computer Communication Review, vol. 32, no. 1, January,
- Resilient Peer-to-Peer Streaming,
V. N. Padmanabhan,
H. J. Wang, and P. A. Chou, IEEE ICNP 2003, Atlanta, GA, USA, November
(An expanded version of this paper is available as Microsoft Research
Report MSR-TR-2003-11, March 2003
- Supporting Stored Video: Reducing
Rate Variability and
End-to-End Resource Requirements through Optimal Smoothing, J. Salehi,
Zhang, J. Kurose, D. Towsley IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking Sep
- A Comparison of Mechanisms for
Improving TCP Performance
over Wireless Links, H. Balakrishnan, V.N. Padmanabhan, S. Seshan, and
Katz, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 5(6):756-769, Dec. 1997.
- A Performance Comparison of
Multi-Hop Wireless Ad Hoc
Network Routing Protocols, J. Broch et al., Proc. of MobiCom '98, Oct.
- Directed diffusion: a scalable
and robust communication
paradigm for sensor networks, C. Intanagonwiwat, R. Govindan and D.
- Mobility Support in IPv6, Charles
E. Perkins and David
B. Johnson, Mobicom 1996.
- An End-to-End Approach to Host
Mobility, A. Snoeren and
H. Balakrishnan, ACM Mobicom 2000.
- Authentication for Distributed
Systems, T.Y.C. Woo and
S.S. Lam, Computer, 25(1), 1992. See also "Authentication" revisited,
- Password Authentication with
L. Lamport, Communications of ACM, Vol. 24, 1981.
- Practical Network Support for IP
Traceback, S. Savage,
D. Wetherall, A. Karlin, and T. Anderson, Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM,
- Security Problems in the TCP/IP
Protocol Suite, S. Bellovin,
Computer Communication Review, 19(2), 1989.
- Security Issues and Solutions in
Multicast Content Distribution:
A Survey, Paul Judge, Mostafa Ammar, IEEE Network Magazine, 2003.
- Internet Time Synchronization:
The Network Time Protocol,
D. L. Mills, IEEE Transactions on Communications, Oct 1991.
- DNS performance and the
effectiveness of caching, Jaeyeon
Jung, Emil Sit, Hari Balakrishnan, and Robert Morris, ACM SIGCOMM
Measurement Workshop 2001.
- Directions in Active Networks,
Zegura and Sterbenz, IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 36, no. 10, pp.