Clips October 31, 2003

ARTICLES

Critical Study Minus Criticism of Justice Dept.
Growing use of private police network raises concerns
Groups question voting machines' accuracy
Lawyers call for data mining guidelines
Courts must invest in IT, judge says
Congress keeps government open another week
DISA opens center to increase bandwidth
Security official touts department's science initiatives
Internet-based system helps California manage wildfire fight
ICANN to Adopt New Domain Process

*******************************
New York Times
October 31, 2003
Critical Study Minus Criticism of Justice Dept.
By DAVID JOHNSTON and ERIC LICHTBLAU

WASHINGTON, Oct. 30 An internal report that harshly criticized the Justice Department's diversity efforts was edited so heavily when it was posted on the department's Web site two weeks ago that half of its 186 pages, including the summary, were blacked out.

The deleted passages, electronically recovered by a self-described "information archaeologist" in Tucson, portrayed the department's record on diversity as seriously flawed, specifically in the hiring, promotion and retention of minority lawyers.

The unedited report, completed in June 2002 by the consulting firm KPMG, found that minority employees at the department, which is responsible for enforcing the country's civil rights laws, perceive their own workplace as biased and unfair.

"The department does face significant diversity issues," the report said. "Whites and minorities as well as men and women perceive differences in many aspects of the work climate. For example, minorities are significantly more likely than whites to cite stereotyping, harassment and racial tension as characteristics of the work climate. Many of these differences are also present between men and women, although to a lesser extent."

Another deleted part said efforts to promote diversity "will take extraordinarily strong leadership" from the attorney general's office and other Justice Department offices.

Even complimentary conclusions were deleted, like one that said "attorneys across demographic groups believe that the Department is a good place to work" and another that said "private industry cites DOJ as a trend-setter for diversity." Beyond that, a recommendation that the department should "increase public visibility of diversity issues," was kept out of the public report.

The edited version gave a much narrower view of the department's diversity problems.

Private lawyers who have sued federal agencies for racial discrimination expressed dismay at the heavy editing of the report and at its conclusions that discrimination was perceived by the minority lawyers who make up about 15 percent of the Justice Department's 9,200 lawyers.

"The Justice Department has sought to hide from the public statistically significant findings of discrimination against minorities within its ranks," said David J. Shaffer, a lawyer who has represented agents from federal agencies in class-action discrimination lawsuits. "These cases challenge the same type of discriminatory practices found to exist at the Justice Department."

After the unedited document began circulating in computer circles, and articles began appearing earlier this month in publications like Computer World and newspapers like Newsday, the Justice Department pulled the edited report from its Web site, later posting a different version thought to be more resistant to electronic manipulation.

The complaints about the Justice Department come as it has shifted many resources to fighting terrorism and critics have said it has allowed the enforcement of civil rights to languish and failed to aggressively pursue some accusations of discrimination in housing, the workplace and other critical areas.

Senator Edward M. Kennedy, Democrat of Massachusetts, said the department's handling of the report called into question its commitment to diversity in its own workplace.

At a Senate hearing this week, Mr. Kennedy told James B. Comey, nominated by President Bush to succeed Larry Thompson as deputy attorney general, that the episode "gives the distinct impression that the department commissioned the report, then left it on the shelf, ignoring the recommendations."

Mr. Comey, however, said the report and the policy that grew out of it were "a point of pride" for the Justice Department.

Mark Corallo, a Justice Department spokesman, said that portions of the report, and even its conclusions, were "deliberative and predecisional" and so could be excluded from the public report under provisions in the Freedom of Information Act. Mr. Corallo said some of the consultants' findings were inaccurate, but he said he could not discuss deleted passages.

Mr. Corallo said career lawyers who routinely decide how to censor material before public release made the recommendations about what to delete from the diversity report. He said their recommendations were sent to the office of the deputy attorney general, where it was reviewed by political appointees who made no further changes.

By the time the department posted the theoretically more secure version of the report on its Web site, it was too late. Russ Kick, a writer and editor in Tucson, who operates a Web site, thememoryhole.org, had had already electronically stripped the edited version of the black lines that hid the full text. Mr. Kick then posted the unedited version of the report on his Web site, where it has been copied more than 32,000 times, a near record for the site. Justice Department officials said it was unlikely that any action would be taken against Mr. Kick.

Some Justice Department lawyers said the editing of the report had overshadowed the purpose of the study. Stacey Plaskett Duffy, a senior counsel to the deputy attorney general, said the study, a self-evaluation, was part of a program to improve the department's diversity programs.

"This was a study that we commissioned of our own volition to get a look at what our work force looked like," Ms. Duffy said. "We didn't have to let people know we were doing this."

She said the department had undertaken a number of significant steps to improve the work environment for minority members. Department officials have begun a pilot $300,000 program to help new lawyers pay off student loans, she said, and have also started a mentoring program, begun posting all job openings and are assessing how to more fairly assign cases within each unit.
*******************************
USA Today
Growing use of private police network raises concerns
By Patrick Howe, Associated Press
Posted 10/30/2003 7:00 PM     Updated 10/30/2003 7:15 PM

ST. PAUL  Some see it as the sort of tool that just might give a cop a break the next time someone abducts a child.
Some see it as an assault on personal privacy, a Big Brother of a network operating outside the bounds of state regulation.

Most, though, have no way of knowing about it at all.

Since 2001, the Minnesota Chiefs of Police Association has been quietly linking the case files of law enforcement agencies around the state to build a searchable system police can use to share information on people that their officers have had contact with.

More than 175 agencies that collectively police two-thirds of the state's population are now participating in the Multiple Jurisdictional Network Organization, sharing nearly 8 million records. Though still owned by the chiefs, in March the state took over running it.

For police, the system's appeal is in the depth of information.

Unlike a database run by the state's Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, the MJNO network doesn't just tell police if a person has been convicted of a crime. It also tells whether they've ever been arrested or if they appear in police files as a victim, a suspect, a complainant or a witness. It has juvenile files.

Agencies in neighboring states have begun to join the network and some officers have access to it from their squad cars.

Now, spurred by citizens who've found themselves scrutinized because of the system, the network is facing questions. Questions about the state's involvement. Questions about what authority a private group had to build it. Questions about whether people can get access to information shown about them. And questions about whether the system is accurate and secure.

At least one lawmaker is planning hearings and an attorney is exploring a lawsuit with the hope of shutting MJNO down.

How it began

The basic concept of the system began in 1992, when police in Crystal asked to view the records of their Minneapolis counterparts. In 1997, some 22 police agencies banded together to win a federal grant to build a prototype. Eventually, it was turned over to the nonprofit chiefs association to run and administer.

So far, the network has been paid for through federal grants and subscribing agencies paying fees of between $50 and $500. In March, the state took on a more significant role, leasing rights to use it for 18 months in exchange for the state investing up to $150,000 to upgrade the system. It's housed on a state Web server  www.mjno.state.mn.us  and state employees run it. Before Thursday, when the site was down, members of the public could get to the home page, but queries required authorization.

The state is exploring absorbing MJNO permanently after the lease is up, said Bob Johnson, director of CriMNet, the state's broad effort to link public information for law enforcement use. Before that can happen, he said, plenty of thorny legal and practical questions must be answered.

How it works

When an officer gets a hit on a name searched in the MJNO network, the screen they call up shows them the person's name, date of birth, the number and type of case that brought them to police attention and the person's role in the matter; whether they were a victim, caller, suspect or witness, for example.

Click on a hypertext link offering additional details and it also gives a limited physical description of the person and a broader description of the case.

Dennis Delmont, executive director of the chiefs association, stressed that only police have access to the system. He said agencies that use the information are warned it is up to them to verify its accuracy.

And he said the association doesn't own or alter the data. The MJNO, he says, is merely a pipe linking one agency's data to another.

"(Critics are) concerned why the Chiefs of Police Association collects all this information on them. The answer is, we don't," he said. "We facilitate the collection by pointing to the data."

Testimonials on MJNO's Web site laud its ease of use. One investigator says it helped him do in four hours what would have taken his full staff a week. Another boasts that "tools like MJNO are changing the way we do business."

Indeed, police at cash-strapped agencies say joining the system has been the equivalent of adding an extra investigator to their staff.

Discovery

Scott Chapman may have been one of the first people outside of law enforcement to become aware of the reach of MJNO.

He said the experience left him feeling violated.

Last March, Chapman, a computer systems administrator, was at a political rally outside U.S. Rep. John Kline's office. He was carrying a sign reading "Freedom is not free," to balance people protesting the war in Iraq, he said.

As the rally neared an end, a Burnsville police sergeant stopped Chapman and asked to search his fanny pack. Chapman protested but eventually handed it over. Finding nothing unusual, the officer allowed him to leave.

Chapman said the experience left him shaken and curious why he'd been singled out.

The answer came from a friendly file clerk and the police report on the incident. Chapman learned that the officer was suspicious in part because he'd searched the MJNO and found that Chapman had requested but been denied permission to carry a concealed carry permit. (Chapman had since been granted a permit, though that wasn't in the records)

"Here I've done nothing wrong. I've done everything right. I applied for a legal permit and followed the process," Chapman said. "Now I find out that my name is commingled with all of the felons and arrestees and everyone else? It just seems wrong."

In an e-mail to Chapman, a Burnsville commander defended the use of the system as a normal course of police business.

His attorney, gun-rights activist David Gross, says he is exploring a possible lawsuit over the incident.

Gross questions the accuracy of the information and the security of the system. He believes the system should be shut down because it was never authorized by the Legislature and doesn't comply with parts of the state's records law, the Data Practices Act.

"There's all sorts of philosophical questions," he said. "What is it? Why did they need to create it? Is it lawful to create it? Why in the hell, if they needed it and wanted it to exist, didn't they go through the state government to create it?"

He said he believes state law demands that citizens have access to any data collected on them, provided they aren't the suspect of an investigation. Delmont said those questions should be taken to the agencies that hold the actual records, not MJNO.

Gross also says Chapman's experience shows MJNO is easily misused, too convenient and tempting for police not to use it to short-circuit traditional investigations.

"I'm a white guy from the 'burbs and I was stopped and illegally searched," Chapman said. "Can you imagine what it must be like for a guy who's not a white guy from the 'burbs?"

Lawmakers step in

Largely thanks to Chapman's efforts to bring the system to their attention, lawmakers are beginning to question the system.

Rep. Mary Liz Holberg, a Republican from Lakeville, recently went into the office of the Chiefs of Police Association and demanded a copy of the records the MJNO has on her.

She wasn't satisfied with what she learned.

Charging her $15, the group printed out a summary sheet that showed that one agency in the system has her name in their records. To find out more, she was told to contact that police department directly.

"I want to see what the cops see on their screens," Holberg said. "I don't understand why the MJNO screen on me is not accessible to me."

As a lawmaker who has served on key police and law committees, Holberg said she initially dismissed talk about a secret, privately run database, assuming she'd have heard about it if it existed. "I didn't key into it, because I thought it sounded so bizarre it couldn't be true."

Holberg said she can see the benefits of the system to police, but she's grown concerned enough to plan hearings on MJNO for the next legislative session.

"There needs to be major big time discussion from a public policy standpoint before we get much further down the road."

Powerful system

Gary Ritari can understand the concerns. As a director of technology at the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, Ritari is helping explore whether and how to merge MJNO into CriMNet.

He says he understands that MJNO has probably grown large enough that it's time for the Legislature to weigh in on issues about public records.

But he also wants people to understand the power of the system.

He tells this story:

When he was a Minneapolis police officer more than 20 years ago, a fellow officer was shot. They had a suspect, and it was Ritari's job to try to gather all the information from law enforcement agencies across the state on the suspect.

He started working the phones.

It took him eight days to finish.

Today, the bulk of the work could be done in seconds, the rest in hours.

"I love to see bad guys get caught and put away," he said. "This helps it happen."
*******************************
Associated Press
China Detains Internet Essayist for Subversion
Fri Oct 31, 2:20 AM ET

BEIJING (Reuters) - Chinese authorities have detained a civil servant, whose essays are banned by Beijing on the Internet, on charges of subversion, sources said on Friday, part of an intensified government crackdown on online dissent.

Plainclothes state security agents took Du Daobin, who turns 40 next month, into custody on Tuesday while he was on his way home from work in Yingcheng city in the central province of Hubei province, his wife Xia Chunrong said.

Two days later, seven plainclothesmen searched Du's home, seized his computer and presented his wife with a warrant certifying Du's detention for "subverting state power," she said.

"The state security told me he was held at Xiaogan police detention center, but when my sister went there to give him some clothes and a blanket, they denied he was there," she said.

"I'm really worried for him as well as our 12-year-old son if I'm also arrested," the 33-year-old nurse told Reuters.

Du, who works for the municipal medical reform office, signed an online petition calling for the release of fellow "cyber-dissident" Liu Di, a female psychology student from Beijing Normal University who was detained in the capital in November 2002.

Du's essays are banned in China, but have been published on overseas portals (news - web sites), the New York-based rights group China Labour Watch said in a statement.

The London-based human rights watchdog Amnesty International said 40 cyber-dissidents were currently detained on imprisoned for Internet-related offences.

They include students, political dissidents and practitioners of Falun Gong (news - web sites), a spiritual movement banned by Beijing as an "evil cult" in 1999. Those jailed got up to 11 years.

In addition to jailing Internet dissidents, China has created a special Internet police force, blocked some foreign sites and shut down domestic sites posting politically incorrect fare.
*******************************
Australian IT
Man charged over anti-war email
OCTOBER 31, 2003

AN Auckland peace activist who sent an email to the US Embassy objecting to the war on Iraq has been charged with misuse of a telephone.

Police went to the Epsom home of 38-year-old university student Bruce Hubbard yesterday afternoon and took him to Takapuna police station for questioning.
Mr Hubbard last night said he has been charged under the Telecommunications Act and has been told by police they'll seize information from his computer under the Counter-Terrorism Act.

Friends such as fellow activist John Minto were alerted to Hubbard's plight when he sent an email before being taken to the police station.

A spokeswoman for Takapuna police has confirmed Hubbard has been charged and is on bail, but was unable to confirm the charge.

Mr Minto says Hubbard sent the embassy an email in about March.
*******************************
USA Today
Groups question voting machines' accuracy
By Robert Tanner, Associated Press
Posted 10/30/2003 6:51 PM

Doubts about the trustworthiness of electronic voting machines are growing among election officials and computer scientists, complicating efforts to safeguard elections after the presidential stalemate of 2000.

With just over a year to go before the next presidential race, touchscreen voting machines don't seem like the cure-all some thought they would be. Skeptics fear they'll only produce more problems, from making recounts less reliable to giving computer hackers a chance to sabotage results.

"I'm deeply concerned about this whole idea of election integrity," said Warren Slocum, chief election officer in California's San Mateo County. His doubts were so grave that he delayed purchasing new voting machines and is sticking with the old ones for now.

He's not alone. While the Florida recount created momentum for revamping the way Americans vote, slow progress on funding and federal oversight means few people will see changes when they cast ballots next week. And new doubts could further slow things.

In Florida's Broward County  scene of a Bush-Gore recount of punch-card ballots  officials spent $17.2 million on new touchscreen equipment. Lately, they've expressed doubts about the machines' accuracy, and have discussed purchasing an older technology for 1,000 more machines they need.

The concerns focus on:

Voter confidence. Since most touchscreen machines don't create a separate paper receipt, or ballot, voters can't be sure the machine accurately recorded their choice.

Recounts. Without a separate receipt, election officials can't conduct a reliable recount but can only return to the computer's tally.

Election fraud. Some worry the touchscreen machines aren't secure enough and allow hackers to potentially get in and manipulate results.

"The computer science community has pretty much rallied against electronic voting," said Stephen Ansolabahere, a voting expert at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. "A disproportionate number of computer scientists who have weighed in on this issue are opposed to it."

Other doubters say the solution would be "voter verifiable paper trails"  a paper receipt that voters can see to be confident of their choice, that can then be securely stored, and that election officials can rely on for recounts.

Federal election-reform legislation passed in 2002 aims to upgrade voting systems that rely on punch-card ballots or lever machines, and to improve voter registration, voter education and poll worker training.

States upgrading their equipment are looking at two systems: electronic machines, with voters making their choice by touchscreens similar to ATMs; and older optical scan machines, with voters using pen and paper to darken ovals, similar to standardized tests.

Still, Georgia announced it would re-examine the security of its $54 million-worth of computerized machines. North Dakota changed its plan to give officials the flexibility to go with touchscreens or optical scan machines. And the National Association of Secretaries of State held off from embracing touchscreens at its summer meeting, pending further studies.

"This is too important to just sort of slam through," said William Gardner, New Hampshire's secretary of state. In Congress, Rep. Rush Holt (D-N.J.) has introduced a bill that would require that all voting machines create a paper trail.

Computer manufacturers and many election officials say the critics are mistaken. They insist that security is solid and machines records are examinable. They also say the sought-after improvements will create other problems, such as malfunctioning machines and violating the integrity of a voters' privacy.

Slocum figures that only about a half-dozen of California's county election commissioners share his concerns.

The complaints echo those that came up when lever machines were introduced in the 1920s, and again when punch cards came on the scene, said Doug Lewis, an expert at The Election Center in Houston, Texas.

"We were going to find that elections were manipulated wildly and regularly. Yet there was never any proof that that happened anywhere in America," Lewis said.

David Bear, a spokesman for Diebold Election Systems, one of the larger voting machine makers, said "the fact of the matter is, there's empirical data to show that not only is electronic voting secure and accurate, but voters embrace it and enjoy the experience of voting that way."

This week, a federal appeals court in California threw out a lawsuit that challenged computerized voting without paper trails, finding that no voting system can eliminate all electoral fraud.

That didn't satisfy doubters.

John Rodstrom Jr., a Broward County (Fla.) commissioner said local officials there wanted to upgrade to optical scan machines, but were pressured into buying more than 5,000 touchscreens.

"We were forced by the Legislature to be a trailblazer," he said. "The vendors ... they're going to tell you it's perfect and wonderful. (But) there are a lot of issues out there that haven't been answered. It's a scary thing."
*******************************
Federal Computer Week
Lawyers call for data mining guidelines
BY Diane Frank
Oct. 30, 2003

Data mining can be an important tool as the government collects vast quantities of intelligence for homeland security, but there needs to be guidelines and policies, experts told the House Permanent Select Intelligence Committee Thursday.

Technology makes possible many analyses functions, but agencies should not be allowed to simply use them however they see fit, said Judith Miller, a partner at the law firm of Williams and Connelly LLC, and former general counsel at the Defense Department.

"Although these technologies are probably important for our national security to pursue, we have not been going about it so far in the right way," said Miller, a member of the Markle Foundation Task Force.

Rep. Jane Harman (D-Calif.), ranking member on the committee, voiced concern that the Bush administration has "not yet adequately developed a proper policy framework for data mining." Right now the government is still functioning on an "emergency" approach with homeland security rather than developing long-term policies, she said.

That type of framework is necessary for the executive branch -- and Congress -- as data-mining issues increasingly appear in federal agencies, Miller argued. It should include a governmentwide review process, consistent implementation guidelines, and oversight from Congress and the administration through a clearly established audit trail, she said.

The most controversial data-mining project under the homeland security mission so far has been the Total Information Awareness (TIA) program at the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. TIA would search through open source, third party information -- a type of search that is not prohibited by any regulation or legislation, pointed out William Barr, executive vice president and general counsel at Verizon, and former U.S. attorney general.

However, given the civil liberties concerns around projects such as TIA, technology will not be the answer, said Philip Heymann, a professor at Harvard University School of Law and former deputy attorney general. Significant legal, ethical and cultural decisions will need to be made every time agencies develop a new homeland security data mining program, and "I think only human beings can do it," he said.
 *******************************
Federal Computer Week
Courts must invest in IT, judge says
BY Dibya Sarkar
Oct. 29, 2003

KANSAS CITY, Mo.  Courts and technology go hand-in-hand, as far as South Carolina's top judge is concerned.

"Technology in the courtroom should be as much of a fixture as the American flag," said Jean Hoefer Toal, chief justice of the South Carolina Supreme Court.

E-mail and the Web will be as fundamental to modern life as running water and electricity, Toal told an audience at the National Center for State Courts' eighth annual Court Technology Conference. Technology, she said, will improve service, save money and level the playing field among courts, which will have equal access to electronic resources. And the laptop will be the work environment for all judicial personnel, saving hardware costs, she said.

But none of it can work, Toal said, without collaboration among agencies, a cultural change of how people view technology and sufficient funding.

Leadership is also essential, she said. That means having the right attitude, vision, open-mindedness, focus, planning, knowledge of industry best practices, active involvement and a can-do work ethic, she added.

Toal has firsthand experience with upgrading a court's infrastructure. Technology in the South Carolina Supreme Court amounted to little more than a fax machine and some rudimentary automated systems when she was sworn in as chief justice three years ago.

Since then, the court has embarked on a long-term modernization project. Toal selected an information technology director and the court system hired BearingPoint Inc. to help create a strategic plan  for network connectivity, a case management system, document imaging technology, Web portals and a call center  for courts statewide.

Since 2000, every court clerk in the state's 46 counties was given four personal computers, one laptop, a network printer and a Web presence. The Supreme Court introduced a portal  which now gets more than 3 million hits monthly  that provides a court calendar and other information saving the state thousands of dollars in publishing and other costs. The court installed an imaging system and is piloting a hosted case management system with three counties.

By the end of the year, every court in the state will have high-speed connectivity, Toal said. She expects that in the future, all judicial facilities will have network connectivity, the case management system will be deployed in all counties with a real-time interface with the criminal justice information system and e-filing will be available.
*******************************
Government Computer News
10/31/03
Congress keeps government open another week
By Jason Miller

The federal government can keep operating until Nov. 7 under a continuing resolution passed in the House yesterday, 406 to 13, with the Senate?s unanimous consent. President Bush is expected to sign the bill into law today to avoid a shutdown.

The bill lets agencies continue to spend at fiscal 2003 levels. This is the second continuing resolution since the new fiscal year began Oct. 1; the first kept the government running through today.
Only three of 13 appropriations bills have become lawthose for the Defense and Homeland Security departments and the legislative branch. The Senate has yet to vote on spending bills for the Agriculture, Commerce, Housing and Urban Development, Justice, State and Veterans Affairs departments and the District of Columbia.

The Interior Department?s appropriations bill is closest to going to the White House. The House passed a conference report yesterday and the Senate likely will vote on it next week.

Susan Irving, director of federal budget analysis at the General Accounting Office, said earlier this week that she doesn?t expect Congress will get many spending bills done by the end of November.

?I think Congress will put a chunk of the government on a continuing resolution until January,? Irving said at the Coalition for Government Procurement conference in Arlington, Va. ?It will be tough on those agencies working under the continuing resolution. It didn?t work very well last year.?

Irving added that funding will remain tight over the next several years as the administration focuses on homeland security and military issues.
*******************************
10/31/03
Government Computer News
[...]

10/30/03
DISA opens center to increase bandwidth
By Dawn S. Onley

The Defense Information Systems Agency yesterday opened a station to increase the bandwidth available to networked users, DOD Teleport-Northwest, at the Naval Support Activity, Northwest Annex, in Norfolk, Va.

DISA created the Teleport program to increase military bandwidth to enhance information sharing.

The program is intended to provide integrated satellite communications and Defense Information System Network services entry points, giving deployed users access to unclassified and classified Internet protocols, and telephone, videoconferencing and data transfer services.

The military?s need for bandwidth was a common topic of discussion among Defense Department IT officials during operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, when information needs exceeded the bandwidth available from Military Satellite Communications, according to DISA officials. DOD users were forced to rely more heavily on commercial satellite services.

Last month, DOD unveiled a new Teleport Testbed at the Communications Electronics Research and Development Center at Fort Monmouth, N.J. The telecommunications collection and distribution point, located at the center?s Space and Terrestrial Communications Directorate, will test new technologies and implement upgrades of satellite systems, CECOM said in an announcement.

The DOD Teleport stations are strategically located in the United States, Germany, Italy and Japan, permitting global access via military and commercial satellites.
*******************************
Government Executive
October 30, 2003
Security official touts department's science initiatives
By Greta Wodele, National Journal's Technology Daily

A Homeland Security Department official on Thursday briefed lawmakers on progress made at the department to implement new technologies for combating terrorist threats.

"We are shaping the [science and technology division] to serve as the department's hub for research and development for exposing and countering chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, high-explosive and cyber threats," Penrose (Parney) Albright, an assistant secretary at the department, said in prepared testimony before a House Homeland Security subcommittee.

Albright said that within his division are "portfolios" to focus on the different directorates at the department, including border and transportation security, intelligence analysis and critical infrastructure, and emergency preparedness and response. The department also is focused on developing standards for technologies used by local, state and federal officials, he said.

"The staff of each portfolio is charged with being an expert in their particular area," he said before the cyber security subcommittee.

Albright outlined in his testimony recent steps taken in each area and said the department plans to use 55 percent of its funding for "contracting activities" with the private sector: 23 percent for biological countermeasures, 6 percent for chemical countermeasures and 10 percent for "revolutionary, long-range research for breakthrough technologies and systems."

On cybersecurity, Albright said the department is "very aware that our critical cyber infrastructure is an attractive target for our adversaries." He said the new cyber-security division works "around the clock" analyzing cyber threats, issuing alerts and warnings, and improving information sharing with the private sector.

To protect the nation's physical infrastructure, he said his division has built and delivered a prototype digital-mapping system to assess threats to the oil and gas infrastructures in the Southwest. It also is delivering "cutting-edge visualization, data searching, data correlation and all-source analytic aids" to analyze vulnerability information, he said.

At the nation's borders, Albright said an experiment is underway to create an infrastructure in the Southwest for federal, state and local officials to share data about "individuals who have already entered our country, either legally or not, and who engage in hostile behavior after crossing the border." It would track people who attempt to change their identities or borrow others' identities.

Albright also said the department is taking steps to enhance the abilities of wireless communications so officials at all levels can communicate effectively with each other during emergencies. "The goal is to enable public-safety agencies to talk across disciplines and jurisdictions via radio communications systems, exchanging voice or data with one another on demand and in real time," he said.

On maritime security, Albright said the division has joined with the U.S. Coast Guard to build a prototype surveillance facility for three ports in Florida. The $3.7 million, 24-month program will "integrate existing facilities and upgrade equipment to detect, track and identify vessel traffic" around the ports, he said.

Albright said the division also is working to develop standards for the new technologies. Initial guidelines for radiation- and biological-detection technology are underway, and formal standards for communications systems that work together have been published.
*******************************
Computerworld
Internet-based system helps California manage wildfire fight
The homegrown system was developed by the state in 1995
Story by Linda Rosencrance

OCTOBER 31, 2003 ( COMPUTERWORLD ) - As wildfires in California this week consumed more than 1,800 homes and ravaged southern sections of the state, Los Angeles and Ventura counties needed more aerial support in the form of National Guard C130 air tankers to help firefighters on the ground.

So officials in those two counties turned to an Internet-based system, dubbed RIMS (Response Information Management System), for help. RIMS helps the state coordinate and manage its response to disasters and other emergencies.

To get the equipment, the counties used an online form that is part of RIMS to detail specific information: the nature of the threat (i.e., potential loss of homes and property); the area needing the C130s; when the equipment would be needed; where it should be delivered; how long it would be used (if that information was available); and even the name of a contact person.

By filling out the form and sending it up the chain of command, local officials can cut the time needed to get equipment to the scene -- a crucial part of being able to successfully beat back the flames. The system is also designed to help state and local officials keep track of what equipment has gone where, a critical element in coordinating the massive response needed to fight the wildfires.

The homegrown system was first developed by the state's Office of Emergency Services (OES) in 1995, and it was updated to a Web-based system in 1999.

James Watkins, CIO of the OES, said the procedures for using the system follow a particular chain of command. He said cities and towns must log onto the system via an ID and password to submit their reports and are allowed to make requests only to county officials. As part of the system, counties are called operational areas.

Each operational area then tracks its resources using RIMS and sends out the necessary manpower and/or equipment. If the operational area can't help, it passes the request along to one of the state's three regional offices, which in turn either provides the resources or sends the request off to the OES, at the state level.

Because the C130 air tankers needed by Los Angeles and Ventura counties belonged to the National Guard, the OES in Sacramento had to approve the request before the aircraft could be sent out.

"In the RIMS system, when we forward a request to the National Guard, we have adjusted the system so that it automatically populates the National Guard forms that they use and when they are meeting the request, and they send the information back to us," Watkins said. "[RIMS] automatically extracts the information out of their standard forms and puts it back into ours."

By midweek, the C130s were delivered to the counties. And they arrived with all the necessary support equipment and personnel -- and even their food. In most cases, the crews bring their suitcases if they know they're going to stay awhile, according to an OES spokeswoman.
*******************************
Washington Post
ICANN to Adopt New Domain Process
By David McGuire
Friday, October 31, 2003; 1:13 PM

Existing Internet domains like "dot-com" and "dot-net" could get some new company as early as 2005 under a policy adopted by the the group that oversees the Internet's addressing system.

The board of directors of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) voted today in favor of creating a streamlined domain-name creation process, the major policy decision to emerge from the group's week-long meeting in Tunisia.

"The expectation is that we would be moving to some regime that is a more open process -- a more continuous process," said ICANN President Paul Twomey in a conference call with reporters. "This will not be a question of people being told you can't have a [domain]."

When ICANN last approved new domains in November 2000, critics accused the organization of making arbitrary decisions and playing favorites among the pool of nearly 50 applicants. ICANN approved seven new domains -- dot-aero, dot-biz, dot-coop, dot-info, dot-museum, dot-name and dot-pro -- while rejecting applications for dozens of others, including dot-web and dot-xxx.

Many of the companies that applied to operate the rejected domains complained that they had little opportunity to pitch their ideas to ICANN, despite paying $50,000 to apply.

The new process will be a "contrast to the idea of a beauty contest," Twomey said, creating a more objective set of criteria for creating new domains.

Michael Froomkin, a University of Miami law professor and a critic of ICANN's approach to creating Internet domains, said it's too soon to judge whether the new policy will benefit Internet users.

"The devil's always in the details. It could be great and it could not be great," Froomkin said. "I feel a little bit like Charlie brown with Lucy. Every time they tell me something good is coming they pull away the football."

Froomkin applauded Twomey's call for a less subjective way of choosing new domains. "It clearly should be mechanized," he said. "The process should be something anyone can look at and say 'do I qualify?'"

The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) supports the ICANN idea, despite its history of opposing many new domains.

Intellectual property owners once feared that the creation of new domains would make it difficult to protect trademarks and copyrights online, requiring companies to patrol dozens of new Internet neighborhoods looking for infringing Web addresses. So-called cybersquatters often use new domains to register the names of celebrities and well known companies like Madonna or Microsoft, then would try to sell them at exorbitant prices.

ICANN's creation of a dispute resolution process and policies that allow trademark owners to pre-register in new Internet domains have helped to allay those concerns.

WIPO will continue to urge ICANN to add new domains at a relatively slow rate, according to Francis Gurry, the organization's assistant director general.

"It is important that the introduction be controlled," Gurry said. "I wouldn't go from seven to 500 overnight."

Twomey said that ICANN would continue trying to address trademark and copyright concerns.

ICANN also will develop a way for people to create Internet domains that use non-English characters. Under the current system, even Internet domains written in Chinese or Arabic must end with English extensions like dot-com or dot-info.
*******************************
Washington Post
Anti-Spam Law Goes Into Force in Europe
The Associated Press
Friday, October 31, 2003; 10:02 AM
BRUSSELS, Belgium  European Union digital privacy rules came into force Friday requiring companies to get consent before sending e-mail, tracking personal data on Web sites or pinpointing callers' locations via satellite-linked mobile phones.

The law steps up the global war on spam and "is a key tool to strengthen consumer confidence in the Internet and electronic communications," said EU Enterprise Commissioner Erkki Liikanen.

But how the enforce the new rules are left to the 15 EU nations. Fines vary among the countries, and unlike the strictest laws in Virginia and other U.S. states, European Union rules don't call for jail time.

And although the EU rules cover spam sent from the United States and elsewhere, member countries lack both the resources  and the authority  to pursue violators abroad.

Most spam comes from the United States, where the Senate recently approved a do-not-spam list and a ban on sending unsolicited commercial e-mail using a false return address or misleading subject line. Several states also have anti-spam laws.

Nonetheless, Europe has been more aggressive at adopting measures protecting peoples' right to be left alone.

The new European rules also limit companies' ability to use "cookie" files and other devices that let them obtain information about users who visit their Web sites. Companies will now be required to ask users' permission before taking such data and retaining or selling it.

"Spyware" that burrows invisibly onto computer hard drives and snoops on users also becomes illegal.

Europe will allow only police and emergency services to locate people from their satellite-linked mobile phones.

"The directive is technology neutral and gives consumer and citizens a variety of tools to protect their privacy and personal data," the European Commission said in a statement.