- About the College
- Future Students
- Current Students
HomeCurrent Doctoral StudentsPh.D. CS Qualifier InformationGraphics & Visualization Body of KnowledgePerception Qualification Reading List Draft
PhD CS – Graphics & Visualization Body of Knowledge
Perception Qualification Reading List Draft
- Chpt 1 "An Introduction to Vision Science" from Vision Science by Stephen E. Palmer, MIT Press 1999.
- Chpt 11 "Stereopsis" from Computer Vision: A Modern Approach by Forsyth and Ponce, Prentice-Hall, 2002.
- Chpt 12 "Affine Structure from Motion" from Computer Vision: A Modern Approach by Forsyth and Ponce, Prentice-Hall, 2002.
- Chpt 16 "Segmentation and Fitting Using Probabilistic Methods" from Computer Vision: A Modern Approach by Forsyth and Ponce, Prentice-Hall, 2002.
- Chpts 1 & 2 "Approaches to Object Recognition" from High-Level Vision by Shimon Ullman, MIT Press, 1996.
In Depth Reading List
- David Marr: Vision: A Computational Investigation into the Human Representation and Processing of Visual Information , September 1983
- Wandell, Foundations of Vision, Sinauer, 1995
- Chapters 1-18, 22-24, Computer Vision: A Modern Approach, by David Forsyth and Jean Ponce, 2002.
- Chapter 2,3,5,8. Multiple View Geometry in computer vision, by Hartley and Zisserman, 2000.
- Grimson, E. and T. Lozano-Perez "Model-Based Recognition and Localization From Sparse Range or Tactile Data" Int'l J. Robotics Research. 1984
- Fergus, R. , Perona, P. and Zisserman, A., "Object Class Recognition by Unsupervised Scale-Invariant Learning", Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (2003) (best paper award).
- Canny, J., A Computational Approach to Edge Detection, IEEE PAMI 8(6) 679-698, November, 1986.
Tracking and Active Models
- Jepson, Fleet, El-Maraghi, "Robust Online Appearance Models for Visual Tracking", CVPR 01
- Condensation - conditional density propagation for visual tracking, M. Isard and A. Blake, IJCV 29(1), 1998
- Model-based tracking of self-occluding articulated objects, J. M. Rehg and T. Kanade, Intl. Conf. on Computer Vision, pages 612-617, Cambridge, MA, 1995.
- Kass, M., Witkin, A., and Terzopoulos, D., "Snakes: Active Contour Models", International Journal of Computer Vision, 1(4):321--331, 1987.
- T. F. Cootes, C. J. Taylor, D. H. Cooper, and J. Graham. Active shape models - their training and application. Computer Vision and Image Understanding, 61(1):38-59, Jan. 1995.
- Terzopolous, D. and Metaxes, D., "Dyanmic 3D Models with Local and Global Deformations: Deformable Superquadrics", IEEE Trans. on PAMI, 13(7), 1991
Recognition and Detection of Faces & Objects
- Viola and Jones, "Rapid Object Detection using Boosted Cascade of Simple Features" CVPR 01
- Brunelli, R. & T. Poggio (1993), Face Recognition: Features versus Templates, IEEE Transactions on PAMI, 15(10):1042-1052
- Nayar, S., Murase H., and Nene, S., "Parametric Appearence Representation" Chapter 6 in Early Visual Learning, Edited by Nayar and Poggio. Oxford University Press, 1996
- A. Bobick and J. Davis, "The Representation and Recognition of Action Using Temporal Templates", IEEE Transactions on PAMI Vol. 23, No. 3, 2001, pp. 257-267.
- T. Starner, J. Weaver, and A. Pentland. "Real-Time American Sign Language Recognition Using Desk and Wearable Computer-Based Video." IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 20(12), December 1998.
- Adelson, E. H. & Bergen, J. R.: Spatio-temporal energy models for the perception of motion. Journal of the Optical Society of America A 2 (1985) 284-299
- Black, M.J., Jepson, A.D., "EigenTracking: Robust Matching and Tracking of Articulated Objects Using a View-Based Representation", Proceedings of ECCV 1996(I:329-342)
Structure from Motion
- C. Tomasi and T. Kanade, "Shape and motion from image streams under orthography: a factorization method," International Journal of Computer Vision, 9(2):137-154, 1992.
- Paul Beardsley, Phill Torr, and Andrew Zisserman, 3D Model Acquisition from Extended Image Sequences in ECCV96
- M. Irani, . IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV), Corfu, September 1999.
- Dellaert et al "Structure from Motion without Correspondence", CVPR 00
- D. Scharstein and R. Szeliski. A taxonomy and evaluation of dense two-frame stereo correspondence algorithms. International Journal of Computer Vision, 47(1):7-42, May 2002.
- S. M. Seitz and J. Kim, The Space of All Stereo Images, International Journal of Computer Vision, Marr Prize Special Issue, 2002. Earlier version appeared in Proc. Eighth International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV) , 2001, pp. 307-314.
- K. N. Kutulakos and S. M. Seitz, A Theory of Shape by Space Carving, International Journal of Computer Vision, Marr Prize Special Issue , 2000. Earlier version appeared in Proc. Seventh International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV) , 1999, pp. 307-314.
- Andrew P. Witkin: Recovering Surface Shape and Orientation from Texture. Artificial Intelligence 17(1-3): 17-45 (1981)
- Swain, M. and Ballard, D. "Indexing via Color Histograms", In Proceedings of ICCV 90, pp 390-393, IEEE CS Press, 1990
- Schoedl, Szeliski, Salesin, Essa. "Video textures", SIGGRAPH 2000