Ph. D. Student
3319, Klaus Advanced Computing Building
Email: balaji @cc.gatech.edu
I'm a 5th year PhD student in the College of Computing at Georgia Tech. I work with Prof. Ling Liu and my interests are broadly in Distributed Systems and Data Privacy. My PhD dissertation research deals with scalable and privacy-aware resource management in Cloud datacenters with a specific focus on MapReduce-based Big Data processing.
· Purlieus: We developed a Locality-aware Resource allocation framework which first categorize jobs using a data-size sensitive classifier using four data size based footprint. Purlieus then provisions virtual MapReduce clusters in a locality-aware manner, enabling efficient pairing and allocation of MapReduce virtual machines (VMs) to reduce the network distance between storage and compute nodes for both map and reduce processing.
· Cura: Cura is a MapReduce Cloud Resource management system which in contrast to existing MapReduce cloud services, aims at minimizing the overall resource utilization in the cloud as opposed to per-job or per-customer resource optimization in the existing services.
· VNCache: To address the network and storage bottlenecks in Cloud Datacenters, we developed an efficient filesystem layer VNcache that integrates a virtual namespace of data stored in the storage cloud into the compute cluster. With VNcache's accurate pre-fetching and caching, jobs often run on a local cached copy of the data block significantly improving performance.
· MobiMix: We develop a road network based mix-zone framework to protect location privacy of mobile users traveling on road networks. In contrast to spatial cloaking based location privacy protection, the approach in MobiMix is to break the continuity of location exposure by using mix-zones, where no applications can trace user movement.
· PrivacyCloud: The PrivacyCloud framework addresses the concern of protecting the anonymity of aggregate results in Cloud data analytics where aggregate information itself becomes sensitive. We develop a new class of cryptographic anonymization schemes which deals with anonymizing graph datasets to protect utility at different levels such as graph structure, aggregate information and individual associations.
· IBM Research PhD Fellowship 2012-2013
· Best Paper Award, 5th International Conference on Cloud Computing, IEEE Cloud 2012 (co-recipient)
· First Patent Application Invention Achievement Award, IBM Research 2012
· NSF Travel Scholarship for ICDE 2012, GENI 2012 and IBM Student Workshop for Frontiers of Cloud Computing 2012
· Best Paper Award, 18th International Conference on Advanced Computing and Communications, ADCOM 2006
· Best Undergraduate Thesis Award, Pondicherry University 2006.
· Journal Review: ACM Transactions on Database Systems, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, World Wide Web Journal, Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, IEEE Transactions on Services Computing, Wireless Networks Journal, Journal of Optical Switching and Networking, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology
· Balaji Palanisamy and Ling Liu, "Attack-resilient Mix-zones over Road Networks: Architecture and Algorithms", submitted to The International Journal on Very Large Databases (VLDBJ)
· Balaji Palanisamy, Ling Liu, Kisung Lee, Shicong Meng, Yuzhe Tang, "Delay-tolerant Mix-zones on Road Networks", submitted to Distributed and Parallel Databases (DAPD)
· Balaji Palanisamy, Aameek Singh and Ling Liu, "Coupled Storage Architecture for Locality-aware Resource Management in MapReduce Clouds", in submission to IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS).
· Yuzhe Tang, Ling Liu, Balaji Palanisamy et.al, "ss-PPI: Privacy preserving Indexing of Access Controlled Repositories", in submission to IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE).
· Kisung Lee, Ling Liu, Balaji Palanisamy et. al ,"Spatial Alarm Processing over Road Networks", in submission.
· Balaji Palanisamy, Aameek Singh, Ling Liu and Bryan Langston, "Cura: A Cost-Optimized Model for MapReduce in a Cloud", Proc. of 27th IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2013). (Pdf)
· Balaji Palanisamy, Sindhuja Ravichandran, Ling Liu, Binh Han and Kisung Lee, "Road Network Mix-zones for Anonymous Location Based Services", Demonstration at 28th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE' 13). (Pdf)
· Balaji Palanisamy, Ling Liu, Kisung Lee, Aameek Singh and Yuzhe Tang, "Location Privacy with Road Network Mix-zones", Proc. of 8th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensor Networks (IEEE MSN'12). (Pdf)
· Balaji Palanisamy and Ling Liu, "MobiMix: Protecting Location Privacy with Mix-zones over Road Networks", Proc. of 27th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE' 11). (Pdf)
· Balaji Palanisamy, Aameek Singh, Ling Liu and Bhushan Jain, "Purlieus: Locality-aware Resource Allocation for MapReduce in a Cloud", Proc. of IEEE/ACM Supercomputing (SC' 11). (Pdf)
· Kisung Lee, Ling Liu, Binh Han, Balaji Palanisamy, "ROADALARM: a Spatial Alarm System on Road Networks", Demonstration at 28th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE' 13). (Pdf)
· Shicong Meng, Arun Iyengar, Isabelle Rouvellou, Ling Liu, Kisung Lee, Balaji Palanisamy and Yuzhe Tang, "Reliable State Monitoring with Messaging Quality Awareness", Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing (IEEE Cloud' 12). (Pdf) (Received Best Paper Award)
· Kisung Lee, Ling Liu, Shicong Meng, Balaji Palanisamy, "Road Network Aware Spatial Alarm Processing", Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Web Services (ICWS' 12). (Pdf)
· Yuzhe Tang, Ting Wang, Ling Liu, Shicong Meng, Balaji Palanisamy, "Privacy Preserving Indexing for eHealth Information Networks", Proc. of 20th ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM' 11) (Pdf)
· Priyanka Prabhu, Shamkant B. Navathe, Stephen Tyler, Venu Dasigi, Neha Narkhede, Balaji Palanisamy, "LITSEEK: Public health literature search by metadata enhancement with External knowledge bases" , in workshop of 18th ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM' 09 ) (Pdf)
· Balaji Palanisamy, Aameek Singh, Nagapramod Mandagere, Gabriel Alatore and Ling Liu, "VNCache: Bridging Compute and Storage for Big Data in a Cloud", submitted to USENIX Annual TechnicalConference (USENIX 2013), San Jose, USA.
· Balaji Palanisamy and Ling Liu, "Privacy-preserving Query Processing for Access-controlled Data in a Cloud", in submission to 39th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB 2013).
· Yang Zhou, Ling Liu, Balaji Palanisamy and Yuzhe Tang, "Memory Resource Aware Optimizations for Large Scale Network Analysis", in submission to 39th International Conference on Very Large Databases (VLDB 2013).
· Mustaque Ahamad, Douglas Blough, Ling Liu, David Bauer, Apurva Mohan, Daisuke Mashima, Bhuvan Bamba, Balaji Palanisamy, Ramkumar Krishnan, Italo Dacosta, and Ketan Kalgaonkar, "MedVault: Health Professional Access to Source-Verifiable Patient-Centric PHR Repository", at poster session in 19th Usenix Security Symposium, (USENIX Security' 10).
· Apurva Mohan , David Bauer, Douglas M. Blough, Mustaque Ahamad, Bhuvan Bamba, Ramkumar Krishnan, Ling Liu, Daisuke Mashima, Balaji Palanisamy, "A Patient-centric, Attribute-based, Source-verifiable Framework for Health Record Sharing", GIT CERCS Technical Report No. GIT-CERCS-09-11, 2009, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, USA. (Pdf)
· Balaji Palanisamy, T.Siva Prasad, and N.Sreenath, "Traffic Adaptive Wavelength Routing in IP-Over-WDM Networks", in Proc. 14th International conference on Advanced Computing and Communications, (ADCOM' 06) (Received Best Paper Award)
· N.Sreenath and Balaji Palanisamy, "An Online Distributed Protocol for the Restoration of Connectivity in the Virtual topology after Link failure in IP over WDM networks", in Proc. International conference on Networking and Services, Silicon Valley, (ICNS' 06) . (Pdf)
· Balaji Palanisamy, "PeerTalk: A Secure, fully Decentralized Peer-to-peer Instant Messaging System", in Proc. International Conference on Information Security, (ICIS' 05)
· N.Sreenath , Balaji Palanisamy, and S.R.Nadarajan, "Grooming of Multicast Sessions in Sparse Splitting WDM Mesh Networks using Virtual Source Based Trees", in Proc. International Conference on Systems and Networks Communication, (ICSNC' 06). (Pdf)
· N.Sreenath and Balaji Palanisamy, "A Two-Phase Distributed Reconfiguration Algorithm for Node Failures in IP-Over-WDM Networks", in Proc. International Conference on Systems and Networks Communication, (ICSNC' 06).
· N.Sreenath, N. Devendra and Balaji Palanisamy, "Dynamic Routing of Reliability-Differentiated Connections in Optical Burst Switched Networks", in Proc. Managing Complexity in a Distributed World, IISc Centenary Conference, (MCDES' 08). (Pdf)
· Balaji Palanisamy and Aameek Singh, "Locality-aware Resource Allocation for Cloud Computing", United States Patent Application No. 13/481,614
· Balaji Palanisamy and Aameek Singh, "Cost-optimal Resource Management for Big Data Computing", in submission
· Aameek Singh, Balaji Palanisamy, Nagapramod Mandagere and Gabriel Alatore, "Bridging Compute and Storage for MapReduce Applications in the Cloud", in submission
CONTACT3319, Klaus Advanced Computing Building, Georgia Institute of Technology, 266, Ferst Drive, Atlanta, GA-30332 Email: balaji @cc.gatech.edu