- About the College
- Future Students
- Current Students
Company: Discovery Communications
- General Information
- Job Type: Full-time
- Location: Atlanta, GA
Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) is the world's #1 nonfiction media company reaching more than 1.8 billion cumulative subscribers in 218 countries and territories.
Discovery is dedicated to satisfying curiosity through 155 worldwide television networks, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Science and Investigation Discovery, as well as US joint venture networks OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, The Hub and 3net, the first 24-hour 3D network.
Discovery also is a leading provider of educational products and services to schools and owns and operates a diversified portfolio of digital media services, including Revision3.
We are seeking candidates for the position of Developer to be located in our Atlanta, Georgia Office.
1. Develops new software and works on various associated development tasks in accordance with pertinent established standards under a team leader.
2. Participates in a cross-functional team within a specific content theme.
3. Participates in code reviews as needed and as assigned by their respective project team leads and department leadership.
4. Reports time and work effort progress to PM and team leads according to established company standards and/or as needed and requested.
5. Provides input into project technology issues and direction to their respective project team leads as appropriate.
6. Ability to accurately render level of effort estimates based on information known at the time that estimate is required.
7. Monitor bug tracking (Jira) queue for tasks and update tasks with relevant information in a timely fashion.
8. Ensure that the sanctioned project and development process are followed and note exceptions as necessary.
9. Participate in meetings with other personnel, including Automated Testing, Product, Architecture, Publishing Operations, and management.
10 Read and review functional specifications and test cases to ensure accuracy and develop understanding of business requirements.
11. Mentor less senior developers.
12. Recommend competitive advantages gained by emerging technologies.
13. This position requires successfully independent collaboration and with others both
internally and externally with other departments.
14. Other duties as assigned.
*Minimum of 7 years PHP and MySQL/PostgreSQL experience
*Minimum of 4 years framework experience (ex: Zend Framework, Slim, etc)
*Minimum of 4 years templating (Twig, Smarty)
*BS/BA degree in Computer Science or Engineering or a minimum of 5 years software development experience in relevant development languages and technical platforms
*Ability to work independently and within a team
*Ability to write documentation including, but not limited to, technical specifications and use cases
*Experience with AWS environments, databases, cloud based tools
*Must have the legal right to work in the United States
*Candidates must submit online portfolio
**Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice. Not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. Discovery values the unique point of view each employee brings to the workplace. We strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich audiences we wish to attract and serve.**
Discovery Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply: To apply please visit: https://careers-discovery.icims.com/jobs/8419/developer/job