- About the College
- Future Students
- Current Students
Company: RAND Corporation
- General Information
- Job Type: Full-time
- Location: Santa Monica, CA - Washington, D.C. - Pittsburgh, PA
- Compensation: Market rate
- Educational Requirements: Bachelors Degree
- Contact Information
- Name: Christopher Skeels
- Phone: 310.393.0411 x7619
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: Send questions and resume to: email@example.com
- Website: http://rand.org
RAND is seeking a software engineer to develop custom solutions for applied research and development projects.
The position requires eliciting requirements from users, designing software products with researchers, implementing designs in actual working code, and iterating with users and researchers to ensure functional and quality requirements are always met.
Candidate will work on project teams of research staff and domain experts and will often be the sole software engineer on the project. Some projects will involve multiple software developers so ability to work effectively with them is a plus.
Technical needs will vary by project so candidate must be a well-rounded generalist able to develop solutions in MORE THAN ONE of the following application paradigms: desktop, web, mobile, database, modelling & simulation, machine learning, statistical analysis, and visualization.
- Developing entire interactive applications from the graphical user interface all the way to back end server components and databases
- Developing partial applications and scripts to data mine, analyze, and visualize data sets
- Briefing others on software design, software development progress, and software tool results
- Written documentation of software and software tool results for inclusion in customer briefings and RAND publication
BS required, preferably in Computer Science or highly related field such as Information Systems, Computer Engineering, etc.
- Have working knowledge of object oriented analysis and design
- Have some expertise with at least one language that can be used for back end web programming such as Ruby, Python, Node, or PHP
- Have some expertise with at least one traditional language that can be used for desktop applications or console apps such as C#, Java, C++, or Python
- Have some expertise with at least one flavor of SQL Database such as MySQL, SQL Server, or PostgreSQL
- Have at least tinkered with building HTML5 apps
- Have at least tinkered with a scientific programming package like R or Matlab
- Have actually used an MVC framework before
- Use version control, even for your own stuff, even when you don’t have to
- Use an IDE for refactoring your code; use an IDE for debugging (instead of print statements) when possible
- Have explored a new technology recently on your own for no other reason than intellectual curiosity and challenge
- Experience working in a research environment or applied R&D laboratory is preferred
- U.S. Citizenship required; existing Security Clearance or ability to obtain one is preferred
Related experience: 0-3 years preferred
How to Apply: Send resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org