- About the College
- Future Students
- Current Students
- General Information
- Job Type: Full-time
- Location: Santa Barbara, CA
- Educational Requirements: Bachelors Degree
- Contact Information
- Name: Jenny Bernal
- Email: Jenny@rightscale.com
- Website: http://tbe.taleo.net/NA4/ats/careers/requisition.jsp
RightScale is seeking a Sr. Linux Software Engineer to develop virtual machine image automation for "the cloud".
Our Linux RightImages provide the base operating system as the primary building block for creating servers and automating deployments in the cloud. We maintain our image configuration as code using Chef, ruby and bash to create consistent, high-quality images for all the clouds that RightScale supports; all developed using state of the art agile programming techniques.
Distributions include, but are not limited to Ubuntu, CentOS and RHEL. Our images run on multiple virtualization environments including Xen, KVM, ESX, HyperV and VirtualBox. They are also configured and optimized for many IaaS Cloud environments like AWS, Rackspace, Azure and GCE, as well as, local environments like Vagrant; We strive to make all our image building tools opensource to enable customers to build their own custom images and to maintain transparency regarding what goes into our images. We also contribute to many opensource projects.
If you want to develop and deliver best-in-class linux systems for the cloud, then our Sr. Linux Software Engineer position is a perfect opportunity.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
· Drive full life-cycle software development, including: requirement and risk/benefit analysis, effort estimation, acceptance testing, and implementation.
· Design, implement and troubleshoot Linux systems and cloud services from the hardware to the IaaS level on up to the application and load-balancing tiers.
· Develop virtual machine images for many different distributions, hypervisors and clouds.
· Utilize Chef and other scripting languages to develop automation for building and testing virtual machine images in the cloud.
· Propose feature designs as well as review designs proposal from junior team members.
· Ability to provide technical consultation and direction to the Product Management team.
· Provide direction, support and mentoring to junior members of the team.
· Oversee critical issues from the technical support team to resolution.
· Provide communication and support to others within the RightScale organization as well as external partners.
· Contribute to the knowledge-base, wiki and other RightScale resources to help build the best customer experience.
· Work closely with the team to ensure that all company and personal goals are met or exceeded.
The ideal candidate has a Technical Background and Experience that includes:
· B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent
· 8+ years of hands-on software development experience
· Experience with Linux package managers and repositories
· Experience with Linux boot process
· Experience with security technologies (SSL, Authentication)
· Experience with a scripting language (Perl, PHP, Ruby, Python)
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills
· Creative mind, flexible, eager to learn, ready to adapt
· Excellent attention to detail
· Experience with Ruby
· Experience with Chef
· Experience with Git
· Experience with creating Linux virtual images
· Experience with package building and repository management
· Experience with using AWS or other cloud APIs
· Experience with creating Windows virtual images
RightScale is a great place to work and we are looking for only the best.
How to Apply: Please click on the link below to apply: http://tbe.taleo.net/NA4/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=RIGHTSCALE&cws=1&rid=329