This course will cover a variety of topics related to social intelligence and socially intelligent robots. We will spend 1-2 weeks on each topic, and readings/lectures will cover (1) what’s known about how this ability arises in human intelligence, and (2) state-of-the-art approaches to building computational systems with this type of social ability.
Readings will be posted here, and updates will be announced in class and on t-square.
Monday, Aug. 20th
- First class, overview
Wednesday, Aug. 22
- R. Brooks, “It’s 2001 Already”, Flesh and Machines, Ch. 4, 2003.
- T. Fong et al., “A survey of socially interactive robots”, RAS 2003.
Anthropomorphism and Embodiment
Monday, Aug. 27th
- D. Norman “Emotional Design”, Ch. 6 & 7, 2004.
- S. Klemmer et al., “How bodies matter”, DIS 2006.
Wednesday, Aug. 29th
- D. Dennett, “True Believers," in Mind Design II, (Originally 1981).
- J. Lasseter, “Principles of Traditional Animation applied to 3D Computer Animation”, in Computer Graphics, 1987.
Wednesday, Sept. 5th
- Srinivasa et al, "Herb 2.0: Lessons learned from developing a mobile manipulator for the home" Proc. of the IEEE Vol 100, No 8, 2012.
- Gielniak, Thomaz, "Enhancing Interaction through Exaggerated Motion Synthesis", HRI 2012.
Monday, Sept. 10th
- Wickens, Gordon, Liu "Ch 2, Research Methods", in An Introduction to Human Factors Engineering, 1998.
Wednesday, Sept. 12th
- Guest lecture: Melanie Clark; no readings.
Monday, Sept. 17th
- Riek, "Wizard of Oz studies in HRI", JHRI Vol1 No1, 2012.
- Young et al., "Evaluating Human Robot Interactions", SoRo Vol 3, No 1, 2011.
Percieving Intentional Action
Wednesday, Sept 19th
- G. Csibra, “Teleological and referential understanding of action in infancy”, Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2003.
- Woodward, et al., “How infants make sense of intentional action”, Ch7 in Intentions and Intentionality, Ed. Malle and Moses, 2001.
- (optional) D. Baldwin and J. Baird, “Discerning Intentions in Dynamic Human Action” TICS 2001.
Monday, Sept 24th
- Salah et al., "Challenges in Human Behavior Understanding", HBU 2010, LNCS 6219, pp 1-12, 2010.
- Y. Nagai, K. Rohlfing, “Computational Analysis of Motionese Toward Scaffolding Robot Action Learning,” IEEE Trans. on Autonomous Mental Devleopment, 2009.
Wednesday, Sept 26th
- Gallese and Goldman, “Mirror Neurons and the Simulation Theory of Mind-reading”, TICS 1998.
- Gopnik, Wellman, “Why the Child’s Theory of Mind really is a theory”, 1992.
Monday, Oct 1st.
- G. Trafton, “Enabling Effective HRI using perspective taking in robots”, T-SMC 2005.
- C. Breazeal et al., “Using perspective taking to learn from ambiguous demonstrations” RAS 2006.
Collaboration and Teamwork
Wednesday, Oct 3rd
- Sebanz et al., "Joint action: bodies and minds moving together" TICS, 2006.
- Shah et al., "Improved human-robot team performance using Chaski, a human-inspired plan execution system" HRI 2011.
Monday, Oct 8th
- Bratman, "Shared Cooperative Activity"
- Hoffman, "Collaboration in Human-Robot Teams"
Wednesday, Oct 10th
- no class (on travel to IROS)
Monday, Oct 15th
- Fall Break
Wednesday, Oct 17th
- De Santis et al., "An atlas of physical human-robot interaction", Mechanism and Machine Theory, 2008.
- Haddadin et al., "Requirements for safe robots: measurements, analysis, and new insights", IJRR 2009.
Dialog and Turntaking
Monday, Oct 22rd
- Trevarthen, "Communication and Cooperation in Early Infancy", 1979.
- Duncan, "Some Signals and Rules for Taking Speaking Turns in Conversations", 1972.
Wednesday, Oct 24th
- Bangerter and Clark, "Navigating Joint Projects with Dialog", Cognitive Science (27), 2003.
- Clark and Krych, "Speaking while monitoring addressees for understanding", Journal of Memory and Language, 2004.
Monday, Oct 29th
- Bohus and Horvitz, "Decisions about Turns in Multiparty Conversation", ICMI 2011.
- Chao and Thomaz, "Timing in Multi-modal Turntaking Interactions" JHRI 1(1), 2012.
Wednesday, Oct 31th
- Rich et al., "Recognizing Engagement in Human-Robot Interaction" HRI 2010.
- Mutlu et al. "Nonverbal leakage in Robots" HRI 2009.
- Lee et al. "Gracefully mitigating breakdowns in robotic services" HRI 2010.
Monday, Nov 5th
- Picard, Affective Computing, 1999.
Wednesday, Nov 7
- Emotional Robots - Breazeal
Monday, Nov 12th
- Emotional Robots
Moday, Nov 19th
- Mascalo, "Change processes in development", New Ideas in Psychology, 2005.
- Meltzoff, Decaty, "What imitation tells us about social cognition", Phil. Trans. Royal Soc. London, 2003.
Wednesday, Nov 21th
- Argall et al. "A Survey of Robot Learning from Demonstration", 2009.
Monday, Nov 26th
- Thomaz, Cakmak, "Learning about Objects from Human Teachers", 2009.
- Kormushev, et al. "Robot motor skill coordination with EM-based Reinforcement Learning", IROS 2010.
Wednesday, Nov 28th
- Chernova, Veloso, "Confidence-based policy learning from demonstration using Gaussian Mixture Models", AAMAS 2007.
- Grollman, Jenikins, "Dogged Learning for Robots", ICRA 2007.
Assistive and Telepresence
Monday, Dec 3rd
- Okamura, et al., "Medical and Health-care robotics: achievements and opportunities", IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, 2010.
Wednesday, Dec 5th
- Beer, Takayama, "Mobile remote presence systems for older adults", HRI 2011.
- Lee, Takayama, "Now I have a body", CHI 2011.
Final Project Presentations
Friday Dec 14th, 2:50-5:40pm
- Details to be announced.