ECE 638: Advanced Parallel Algorithms
Univ of New Mexico, Fall 2004
Tuesday, 2-4:30PM, ECE Room 237
Dr. David A. Bader
Office: ECE 230B
Office Hours: Tuesday/Thursday 10:00 - 10:45 AM, or by appointment.
- Course Description: Design and analysis of advanced
parallel algorithms, realistic parallel models, experimental
parallel algorithmics, Emphasis on combinatorial problems.
Prerequisites: (CS&E 509 -- Parallel Algorithms) and (ECE 537
or CS 500), or by permission of the instructor.
- Grading: 20% Class participation, 30% Comprehension of discussion
topics, 50% Final Project
- Please join the "ParAlg" Class Discussion List
- Discussion Leader Assignments
- Discussion Papers:
- L. G. Valiant, A Bridging Model for Parallel Computation, Communication of the ACM, 33(8):103-111, 1990.
- D. E. Culler, R. M. Karp, D. A. Patterson, A. Sahay, K. E. Schauser, E. Santos, R. Subramonian, and T. von Eicken, LogP: Towards a Realistic Model of Parallel Computation, 4th ACM Symp. Principles and Practice of Parallel Programming (PPoPP), pp 1-12, May 1993.
- V. Ramachandran, A General-Purpose Shared-Memory Model for Parallel Computation, in M. T. Heath and A. Ranade and R. S. Schreiber (eds.), Algorithms for Parallel Processing v 105, pp 1--18, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1999.
- W. Kuchera and C. Wallace,
The UPC Memory Model: Problems and Prospects,
Proc. of the International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS), Santa Fe, NM, April 2004.
- M. Snir and D.A. Bader, A Framework for Measuring Supercomputer Productivity, The International Journal of High Performance Computing Applications, 2004. (to appear)
- F. Dehne, A. Ferreira, E. Caceres, S. W. Song, and A. Roncato, Efficient Parallel Graph Algorithms For Coarse-Grained Multicomputers and BSP, Algorithmica, 33(2):183-200, 2002.
- V. Ramachandran and J. Reif, Planarity Testing in Parallel, J. Computer and Systems Sciences, 49:517-561, 1994.
- W. L. Hightower, J. F. Prins, and J. H. Reif, Implementations of Randomized Sorting on Large Parallel Machines, 4th Ann. Symp. Parallel Algorithms and Architectures (SPAA), San Diego, CA, pp 158-167, July 1992.
- S. Rajasekaran, Sorting and Selection on Interconnection Networks, DIMACS Series in Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science 21, pp. 275-296, 1995.
- D. R. Helman, D. A. Bader, and J. JáJá , A Randomized Parallel Sorting Algorithm With an Experimental Study, J. of Parallel and Distributed Computing, 52(1):1-23, 1998.
- D.A. Bader and G. Cong, Fast Shared-Memory Algorithms for Computing the Minimum Spanning Forest of Sparse Graphs, 18th IEEE Int'l Parallel and Distributed Processing Symp. (IPDPS), Santa Fe, NM, April 26-30, 2004.
Algorithm Engineering for Combinatorial Problems
- D.A. Bader, B.M.E. Moret, and P. Sanders, ``High-Performance Algorithm Engineering for Parallel Computation,'' to appear in Lecture Notes of Computer Science, 2002.
- G. E. Belloch, C. E. Leiserson, B. M. Maggs, C. G. Plaxton, S. J. Smith, M. Zagha, A Comparison of Sorting Algorithms for the Connection Machine CM-2, 3rd Ann. Symp. Parallel Algorithms and Architectures (SPAA), pp. 3-16, July 1991.
- B. Grayson, M. Dahlin, and V. Ramachandran, Experimental Evaluation of QSM, a Simple Shared-Memory Model, full version of 13th Int'l Parallel Processing Symp. and 10th Symp. Parallel and Distributed Processing (IPPS/SPDP), San Juan, Puerto Rico, 7 pp, April 1999.
- D. R. Helman and J. JáJá , Designing Practical Efficient Algorithms for Symmetric Multiprocessors, Algorithm Engineering and Experimentation (ALENEX), Baltimore, MD, Springer-Verlag Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1619, pp 37-56, January 1999.
- I. Guirin-Lassous and Jens Gustedt, Portable List Ranking: An Experimental Study, ACM J. Experimental Algorithmics, 7(7), 18pp, 2002.
- D.A. Bader, W.E. Hart, and C.A. Phillips, Parallel Algorithm Design for Branch and Bound, in H.J. Greenberg, editor, Tutorials on Emerging Methodologies and Applications in Operations Research, Kluwer Academic Press, 2004.
Algorithmic Issues with Advanced Architectures
- J. Lee, Y. Solihin, and J. Torrellas, Adaptively Mapping Code in an Intelligent Memory Architecture, 2nd Workshop on Intelligent Memory Systems, November 2000.
- M. Erez, J. H. Ahn, A. Garg, W.J. Dally, and E. Darve, Analysis and Performance Results of a Molecular Modeling Application on Merrimac, SC'04, Pittsburgh, PA, November 2004.
- B.R. Gaeke, P. Husbands, X.S. Li, L. Oliker, K.A. Yelick, and R. Biswas,
Memory-Intensive Benchmarks: IRAM vs. Cache-Based Machines,
Proc. of the International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS), Ft. Lauderdale, FL, April 2002.
Wed Sep 1 09:15:42 MDT 2004