* Best Paper Award - Wu, A., Joyner, D. and Do, E. Y., Move, Beam, and
Check! Imagineering Tangible Optical Chess on An Interactive Tabletop
Display, ACM Computers in Entertainment, Volume 8, Issue 3, Article 20, 15
pages, Dec. 2010, doi>10.1145/1902593.1902599
* Ellen delivered a keynote "Things that Think, Spaces that Sense and Places that Play" at the First International Conference on Intelligent Interactive Technologies and Multimedia Dec, 2010, Allahabad, India
* Ellen delivered a keynote speech at Keio University (Nov, 2010) at the Symbiotic, Safe and Secure System Design – International Symposim on Biofied Buildings, Nov 26, at Keio University, kenchiku pdf , at Sydney University (Nov 2010) and several universities in Taiwan (May 2010)
* Featured in the Information Technology section of the Chronicle of Higher Education article Composers and Computers Work in Harmony at Georgia Tech's Music Center, by Eric Kelderman, Jan 30, 2009 issue.
* Ellen delivered a keynote speech titled "Unlocking Human Potential through Technological Innovation - Interdisciplinary Research at Georgia Institute of Technolog" at Intelligent . Quality . Good Life conference sponsored by National Science Council, and hosted by INSIGHT Center, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, Jan 19, 2009. The keynote paper in proceeding pp. 11 - 20.
* Ellen in the news and video of Piano Touch/Mobile Music Touch - Reinventing the Way People Learn to Play the Piano November 7, 2008
* Ellen delivered a talk at the Planning, Design + Built Environment PhD Program's Doctoral Seminar at Clemson University on Octber 17, 2008
* Ellen delivered a talk at HCI Seminar at Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign, on October 4, 2007.
* Ellen delivered a keynote speech titled "Every Drawing Tells a Story at Spatial Cognition in Architecutral Design, September 19, 2007, Melbourne, Australia.
* Ellen delivered a keynote speech titled "Patient Room of the Future" at the Smart Living Space Symposium , June 8-9, 2007, National Cheng-Kung University, Tainan, supported by the National Science Council in Taiwan. Here is a couple slides from the talk
* Electronic Cocktail Napkin (and Ellen) featured in the UK's Computer Shopper "Britain's Biggest Technology Magazine," feature story of Sketch Recognition, March 2006, 224-227. (did not get all the facts right, but nice being mentioned)
Design Sketches and Sketch Design Tools, in Knowledge-Based Systems,
Volume 18, Issue 8, December 2005, Pages 383-405, is ranked 14th on the
Top 25 Hottest articles during Jan-March 2006 in
the Subject Area: Computer Science, Journal: Knowledge-Based Systems
* Drawing on
the Back of an Envelope: a framework for interacting with
application programs by freehand drawing, Computers and Graphics, 24 (6)
(2000) pp. 835-849 Best
Paper Award, Journal in Computers and Graphics (2000)
* Ellen delivered a keynote speech titled "Things that Think, Spaces that Sense and Places that Play" at the Smart Living Space Symposium, June 1-2, 2006, National Cheng-Kung University, Tainan, supported by the National Science Council in Taiwan, also a talk at the HCI Groups in Computer Science at National Taiwan University - Things that Think, Spaces that Sense, and Places that Play, a short overview of the talk.
Here is part of the Home in the
Digital Age presentation * Featured in "Next Generation Tools for Architects", by Denise Fulton, Northwest Science & Technology magazine
* Featured in "Next Generation Tools for Architects", by Denise Fulton, Northwest Science & Technology magazinehttp://www.nwst.org/, Autumn 2002 issue, pp. 32-37. PNWST.pdf or /archi/NW-ST/.
* "Next Generation Tools" featured on the University of Washington's homepagehttp://www.washington.edu Nov. 6-12, 2002. See the page that links to the text only story summary http://www.washington.edu/newsroom/design.html, also archived at UW-News/design.html or UW-News/NextTools.pdf
* Cover story, "Picture this: problem solving in 3D", at Seattle Post Intelligencer Local News, by Jake Ellison, September 11, 2002, pp. B1 & 4, http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/86491_visual11.shtml also archived at seattlepi/visual.html
* Visual Thinking and Spatial Reasoningclass listed at University Honors News http://depts.washington.edu/uwhonors/news.html, see also PDF file.
* Featured in "Digital Architecture" on Komo TV, Channel 4 evening news, November 18, 2001, by Natasha Jones from Tech TV. See the movie clips atkomo.html.
* Featured in UW Daily, "UW Design Machine Group unveils new Programs," by Ken Michelson, November 8, 2001.http://www.thedaily.washington.edu/ . Also on-line at udaily/udaily-dmg.html and daily -sam.pdf
* Featured in Daily Journal of Commerce, October 31, 2001. "Design Machine Group shows off new tools" by Sam Bennett.http://www.djc.com/. Archived at djc/daily.html.
* Featured in University Week, October 25, 2001. "Computer more than super pencil" by Steve Goldsmith, U Week Vol. 19, #4.http://depts.washington.edu/uweek/archives/2001.10.OCT_25/.
Also on-line atuweek-dmg.pdf and uweek /archives/2001.10.OCT_25/frame.html.
* "The Poetic Potentials of Computers, a class that takes up the principles of Bauhaus", Bennett Neiman and Ellen Yi-Luen Do, in Arquitectura Digital: Architectural and Digital Design magazine, No. 9, March. 2000, pp 64-69, S.A.I.C. Capital Federal, Argentina.http://www.arquitecturadigital.com.
* Featured in Architecture Week, On-line magazine for Architecture, June 14 issue, 2000, "The Right Tool at the Right Time" by B. J. Novitski, on-line athttp://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/2000/0614/tools_1-1.html.
* Featured in Architecture Week, Educationhttp://www.architectureweek.com/topics/education.html
* Featured in Architecture Week, On-line Digital Libraryhttp://www.architectureweek.com/topics/digital.html
* Listed in International Graphonomics Society Bulletin, 1999, ISBN 1560-3253 http://www.socsci.kun.nl/psy/igs/BIGS13_01.PDF
* Featured in "Today's Research, Tomorrow's Software," Technology Column, by B. J. Novitski, in Architectural Record, The Millennium Futures to Come, December, 1999. AR-RTRT-ellen.pdf
* "An Analog Digital Language of Vision," Bennett R. Neiman and Ellen Yi-Luen Do, in Partnership in Learning, FormZ Joint Study Annual Report, 1999, pp. 62-65.autodesys Inc. Also,http://www.formz.com/web_site_2000/content_pages/Joint_Study/JS99/pgs_062-063.pdf and http://www.formz.com/web_site_2000/content_pages/Joint_Study/JS99/pgs_064-065.pdf also archived here - pgs_062-063.pdf and pgs_064-065.pdf
* Featured in CADENCE magazine, "The Future of AEC Technology" by Jerry Laiserin, January, 1999 issue. On-line excerpt athttp://www.cadenceweb.com/1999/0199/issuefocus0199.html also archived at cadence/1999/0199/issuefocus0199.html