240 Boulevard SE, Atlanta, GA 30312
jamer @ cc . gatech . edu
Full time employment in product management, interaction design or analysis, user experience design or analysis, user interface design or analysis, or other work related to the field of Mobile Human Computer Interaction. Job opportunities focused specifically in the fields of mobile computing, mobile technology design, mobile service design, mobile user interface design, or ubiquitous computing are particularly desirable.
Master of Science in Human Computer Interaction, August 2005
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia
Bachelor of Science in Industrial and Systems Engineering, May 2001
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia
- James Clawson, Amy Voida, Nirmal Patel, and Kent Lyons. Mobiphos: a collocated-synchronous mobile photo sharing application.
In MobileHCI '08: Proceedings of the 10th international conference on Human computer interaction with mobile devices and services , pages 187-195. ACM, New York, NY, USA, 2008. ISBN 978-1-59593-952-4
- James Clawson, Kent Lyons, Alex Rudnick, Jr. Robert A. Iannucci, and Thad Starner. Automatic whiteout++: correcting mini-QWERTY typing errors using keypress timing.
In CHI'08: Proceeding of the twenty-sixth annual SIGCHI conference on Human factors in computing systems , pages 573-582. ACM, New York, NY, USA, 2008. ISBN 978-1-60558-011-1
- Daniel L. Ashbrook, James R. Clawson, Kent Lyons, Thad E. Starner, and Nirmal Patel. Quickdraw: the impact of mobility and on-body placement on device access time.
In CHI'08: Proceeding of the twenty-sixth annual SIGCHI conference on Human factors in computing systems , pages 219-222. ACM, New York, NY, USA, 2008. ISBN 978-1-60558-011-1
- James Clawson, Nirmal Patel, and Thad Starner. Exploring Computer Augmented Communication through an Examination of the Collocated Use of Multiple Mobile Displays.
In Beyond the Laboratory: Supporting Authentic Col laboration with Multiple Displays . CSCW'08: Proceedings of the 2008 Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, 2008
- James Clawson, Alex Rudnick, Kent Lyons, and Thad Starner. Automatic Whiteout: Discovery and Correction of Typographical Errors in Mobile Text Input.
In MobileHCI'07: Proceedings of the 9th conference on Human-computer interaction with mobile devices and services. ACM Press, New York, NY, USA, 2007
- Valerie Henderson-Summet and James Clawson. Usability at the Edges: Bringing the Lab into
the Real World and the Real World into the Lab
In the Workshop on Usability in the Wild on 11th IFIP TC13 International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (INTERACT 2007), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2007.
- Edward Clarkson, Kent Lyons, James Clawson, and Thad Starner. Revisiting and Validating a Model of Two-Thumb Text Entry
In the Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2007), San Jose, CA, U.S.A., April 28-May 3, 2007.
- Daniel Ashbrook, Kent Lyons, and James Clawson. Capturing Experiences Anytime, Anywhere.
In IEEE Pervasive Computing, 5(2): pp. 6-7, 2006.
- James Clawson, Kent Lyons, Edward Clarkson, and Thad Starner. Mobile Text Entry: An empirical study and analysis of mini--QWERTY keyboards.
Submitted to the Transaction on Computer Human Interaction Journal, August, 2006. Currently under review.
*Best paper nominee ISWC 2005*
- James Clawson, Kent Lyons, Thad Starner and Edward Clarkson. The Impacts of Limited Visual Feedback on Mobile Text Entry.
In the proceedings of the International Symposium on Wearable Computing, Osaka, Japan, October 18-21, 2005.
- Edward Clarkson, James Clawson, Kent Lyons, and Thad Starner. An Empirical Study of Typing Rates on mini-QWERTY Keyboards.
In the Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2005), Portland, OR, U.S.A., April 2-7, 2005.
- Mini-QWERTY keyboard studies (Masters Project)
- Mobile Phone UI Design
- Ethnography of a Bio-Medical Engineering Laboratory
- Affective Communication Over a Distance
- Usability Testing and Analysis: Extensive experience with Cognitive Walkthroughs, Heuristic Evaluations, Focus Groups, Interviewing, Needs Analysis, Survey Analysis, Task Analysis, Statistical Analysis
- Ethnographic and Empirical Research Methods
- Design: Interface Design, User-Centered Design, User Experience Design, Participatory Design,
Experiment Design, Survey Design
- Prototyping: Rapid lo-fi and hi-fi prototyping
- Requirements Analysis and Documentation
- Languages/Tools: Python, Jython, XHTML, CSS, html, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Office
- Operating Systems: Mac OS X/9.x, Windows XP/ME/2000/9x
Ericsson Inc. - Atlanta, Georgia
Account Coordinator III, August 2001 to Present
- BID MANAGEMENT
Lead Bid Manager responsible for coordinating and tendering responses to over 100 RFP's totaling more than 4 billion dollars worth of potential business.
- SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT
Responsible for forecasting shipment from factories and delivery on site of more than 3 billion dollars worth of hardware and software.
- LEADERSHIP/BUSINESS PROCESS REDESIGN
Founded and led the early adopter program: trained the sales teams and the executive management team on the impacts of usability and UI design on end user experience.
Designed and implemented a forecasting method, model and evaluation metric adopted by all accounts in the North American Market.
Tied the fiscal forecasting processes to the equipment forecasting processes resulting in increased accuracy of quarterly sales and financial targets.
REFERENCES AND SALARY HISTORY: Available upon request.