I am a PhD candidate in the School of Computer Science at Georgia Tech, advised by Moin Qureshi and Karsten Schwan. My research interests lie in the areas of computer systems, including operating systems, systems architecture, systems reliability and security, distributed systems, and especially the intersections of them.
I enjoy building systems. The goal of my research is to build practical, reliable, secure and high performance systems, and to bridge all layers of the system stack from hardware platforms to applications, through the software/hardware co-design approach. During my PhD study, I specialize in building memory and storage systems that have benefited platforms spanning from wearables to mobiles to large-scale data centers.
I can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
I will join the ECE department at UIUC as a tenure-track assistant professor. I am looking for self-motivated students. If you also enjoy building systems, please feel free to contact me at email@example.com.
Recent Research Highlights
- FlashBlox achieves both performance isolation and uniform lifetime for virtualized SSDs in large-scale data centers (FAST'17).
- Pallas helps developers find deep bugs in fast path in various system software (e.g., memory manager) with static analysis (ASPLOS'17).
- Memory Manager Study summarizes the development of the Linux memory management over the last five years (USENIX ATC'16).
- WearDrive is a fast and energy-efficient in-memory distributed storge system for wearables (USENIX ATC'15, Best Paper Award).
- FlashMap enables unified address translation for memory-mapped SSDs (ISCA'15, Micro Top Picks Honorable Mention).
- NVLogging proposes cost-effective ways of using non-volatile memory in transactional systems (VLDB'15).
- HPatchDB is the outcome of our study on the bug correlations in large-scale distributed Big Data analytics platform Hadoop (SoCC'15).
- FlashBlox: Achieving Both Performance Isolation and Uniform Lifetime for Virtualized SSDs
Jian Huang, Anirudh Badam, Laura Caulfield, Suman Nath, Sudipta Sengupta, Bikash Sharma, Moinuddin K. Qureshi
Proceedings of the 15th USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies (FAST'17)
- Pallas: Semantic-Aware Checking for Finding Deep Bugs in Fast Path
Jian Huang, Michael R. Allen-Bond, Xuechen Zhang
Proceedings of the 22nd International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems (ASPLOS'17)
- Offloading to Improve the Battery Life of Mobile Devices
Ranveer Chandra, Steve Hodges, Anirudh Badam, Jian Huang
Spotlight in IEEE Pervasive Computing (Speical Issue on Energy Harvesting and Power Management), Volume 15, No. 4, 2016
- An Evolutionary Study of Linux Memory Management for Fun and Profit
Jian Huang, Moinuddin K. Qureshi, Karsten Schwan
Proceedings of 2016 USENIX Annual Technical Conference (USENIX ATC'16)
- WearDrive: Fast and Energy-Efficient Storage for Wearables
Jian Huang, Anirudh Badam, Ranveer Chandra, Ed Nightingale
Proceedings of 2015 USENIX Annual Technical Conference (USENIX ATC'15)
[slides | video] Best Paper Award
Press: The Register, CACM, Neowin, CBR, TECH TIMES, PCWorld, WinBeta, ZDNet, ComputerWorld, CloudTweaks, Tech Cocktail, Jaimy Szymanski, The Australian, Stuffi (in French), ObjetConnecte (in French), Aruco (in French), Lintas News (in Indonesian) Solopos (in Indonesian), CNBeta (in Chinese), Tecent (in Chinese), NetEase (in Chinese), XinhuaNet (in Chinese), ITHome (in Chinese), Wearable.Ofweek (in Chinese), Diario Wearable (in Spanish), ComputerHoy (in Spanish), Noticias-Techologia (in Spanish), Tech.WP (in Polish), etc.
- Unified Address Translation for Memory-Mapped SSDs with FlashMap
Jian Huang, Anirudh Badam, Moinuddin K. Qureshi, Karsten Schwan
Proceedings of the 42nd International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA'15)
[slides | lightning]
IEEE Micro Top Picks Honorable Mention
- NVRAM-aware Logging in Transaction Systems
Jian Huang, Karsten Schwan, Moinuddin K. Qureshi
Proceedings of the 41st International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB'15)
- Understanding Issue Correlations: A Case Study of the Hadoop System
Jian Huang, Xuechen Zhang, Karsten Schwan
Proceedings of 2015 ACM Symposium on Cloud Computing (SoCC'15)
- Scibox: Online Sharing of Scientific Data via the Cloud
Jian Huang, Xuechen Zhang, Greg Eisenhauer, Karsten Schwan, Matthew Wolf, Stephane Ethier, Scott Klasky
Proceedings of the 28th International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS'14)
- High Performance Design of HBase with RDMA over InfiniBand
Jian Huang, Xiangyong Ouyang, Md Wasi-ur-Rahman, Hao Wang, Miao Luo, Hari Subramoni, Chet Murthy, Dhabaleswar K. Panda
Proceedings of the 26th International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS'12)
Released software: RDMA-Hadoop (its relevant packages have been used by 200+ organizations with 18,900+ downloads by Dec. 2016)
- Microsoft Research Outstanding Project Award, 2017
- IEEE Micro Top Picks Honorable Mention, 2016
- Best Paper Award, USENIX ATC, 2015
- Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-Financed Students Abroad, 2015
- Travel Grants: FAST'17, HPCA'17, SOSP'15, Diversity'15, SoCC'15, USENIX ATC'15, ISCA'15, NVMW'15, HPCA'14, IPDPS'14
- Teaching Assistant, CS 7210: Distributed Computing, Fall 2015
- Teaching Assistant, CS 6210: Advanced Operating System, Fall 2013