Randy is the Director of the TSO Research & Instruction Support Group at Georgia Tech's College of Computing (CoC). He holds a B.S. in Mathematics and an M.S. in Computer Science from Georgia State University . Prior to working with TSO, he was a Research Scientist at Georgia Tech's GVU Center where he was the Manager of the GVU Lab. In 2007, Randy received a GVU Impact Award for outstanding technical support of GVU. Before coming to Georgia Tech, he worked as a Systems Programmer at Georgia State University's central IT organization (IS&T). Randy has worked over 20 years in the research and instructional IT service field, including over 15 years in IT management. In 1990, he co-founded the Atlanta SGI User's Group. His current interests include Group Collaboration Systems.
TITLE: Senior Research Technologist, Director of TSO Research & Instruction Support.
ROLE: Manage the TSO Research Program Support Group serving CoC related Research Centers, Labs, Groups and Projects.
- Overall responsibility for research & instructional computing, critical computing infrastructure (data centers, networking, information security) and technical support necessary to sustain the College of Computing's programs in research, instruction, and administration for faculty, staff and students.
- Direct IT personnel in support of critical computing infrastructure such as data centers, systems, networks, backups, infromation security, physical security and video survelleance.
- Direct IT personnel in support of the College's specialized instrucional computing resources (e.g. high performance computing, networking, information security, programming software and tools)
- Direct Research Technologists who provide primary points of contact to research customers in research centers, labs and groups as well as provide specialized technology support related to the research program
- Support research infrastructure including labs, other research assets (research servers, laptops, desktops, clusters, networks).
- Support Research and Instructional High-Performance Computing (HPC)
- Develop and maintain a research lab support model
- Lead/Empower/Train Research lab managers to support their own technology
- Empower users to help themselves through self-service technology
- Establish and manage a research support cost accounting system
- Provide infrastructure costing for new labs, projects, equipment
- Develop and coordinate research-related servers and services
- Develop and coordinate collaborative systems for research business
- Develop and coordinate managed OS deployment technologies
- Develop and coordinate technical aspects of research events
- Coordinate webcasting of research events using streaming servers and iTunesU.
- Advocate strategic vendor research relationships, grant opportunities
- Act as liaison to OIT for research and HPC systems/infrastructure
- Establish and oversee research infrastructure collaborations (e.g. ORNL).
Social Networking: Here are my social networking contact pages: