Student Registration Dates & Information




Thread Restrictions

CS and CM students - please note that CS 3000-4000 level classes will be restricted by threads the first two weeks of phase 1 registration. Thread restrictions will be removed Monday, November 12th, by noon. You will not be able to register for these courses unless your threads are declared in OSCAR by Thursday, October 25th. 

Instructions for adding threads:


Major and Class Restrictions

All major restrictions, except those listed below, will be removed Monday, November 19th by noon.

CS 1100 - Restricted to CS and CM. Major restrictions not removed.

CS 1301 - Restricted to APHY, BCHM, BIO, CHEM, CS, CM, CMPE, DMTH, EAS EE, IE, MTH, MATH, MT, NEUR, PHYS, PSY, & UCS. Class restricted to freshmen and sophomores. Class restrictions will be removed on Monday, November 12th by Noon. Major restrictions will be removed Monday, November 19th by noon.

CS 1315 - Restricted to ALIS, ARCH, BA, BC, BCHM, BIO, CHEM, ECON, EIA, GEML, HTS, ID, INTA, LMC, MGT, NEUR PSY, PUBP, STC, UAC, UACA, UACB, UACI, & UIAC.  Class restricted to freshmen and sophomores and will be removed Monday, November 12th by Noon. Major restrictions not removed. 

CS 1371 - Restricted to Engineering students (Except CMPE, EE, & IE), APHY, BCHM, BIO, CHEM, EAS, NEUR, PHYS, PSY, UEC, & UCS.  Class restricted to freshmen and sophomores and will be removed Monday, November 12th by Noon. Major restrictions not removed. 

CS 1331 - Restricted to CS, CM, & Math. See above for major restriction dates.

CS 2316 - Restricted to IE. See above for major restriction dates.

CS 3311 & CS 3312 - Restricted to CS & CM. A permit is needed to sign up for the second part of the Project Class. See instructions here: Major restrictions not removed.

CS 3510 and CS 3511 - Restricted to CS, CM, & DMTH. See above for major restriction dates.

CS 4001 & CS 4002 - Restricted to CS & CM degree candidates (permit only) in phase I. Restricted to seniors in phase II. Juniors may be added in phase II if seats are available. Major and class restrictions not removed.

CS 4400 - Restricted to CS, CM, IE, & BINF. Restricted to Juniors, Seniors, MS, & PHD students. Class restrictions will not be removed. See above for major restriction dates.

CS 4510 - Restricted to CS, CM, & DMTH. See above for major restriction dates.  

CS 4540 - Restricted to CS degree candidates by permit only. Restriction not removed.

CX 4242 - Restricted to CDA minors. Restriction removed Monday, November 12th by noon.



Degree Candidates for Spring 2019 who need to register for a freshman/sophomore course and have submitted an OAG can email to request a permit.

For classes restricted to Juniors and Seniors, students must be Juniors (60 credit hours) or Seniors (90 credit hours) at the time of registration.

Undergrads taking Grad Courses: A student interested in registering for a graduate level course must be a senior (90 hours completed) with an overall GPA of least a 2.7. Permission from the instructor is required using this form . Permits will be issued in phase II of registration.

Changing Major to CS or CM/Declaring CS Minor - Advisors are unable to meet individually with students interested in a change of major or declaring a minor. 

Change of Major - Students interested in changing or declaring a secondary major in CS or CM must attend a Change of Major meeting. Secondary majors are only eligible after completing their primary major requirements and applying to graduate. Find requirements and register online at the following links:

CS .

Note: All  Fall CS change of major meetings are full. Check back later for spring dates.  


Declaring a CS Minor - The CS minor application form is closed for this semester. Spring 2019 interest meeting dates and application information will be posted by phase II registration. Students interested in applying should check back for details here:

Graduate Registration Information
Spring 2019 Phase II Registration 

The permit restrictions for most graduate courses should be removed prior to the start of Phase II registration.  Project and thesis courses (as always) will remain permit restricted.  Some seminars require instructor permission and will still require permits.  CS 8801 SC, CS 8803 SIC and CS 8803 SRD all require instructor permission and will remain permit restricted.

Major restrictions will be removed by noon on Monday, January 7 for most of the graduate courses.  The following courses will remain major restricted for the entirety of Phase II: CS 6727, CS 7455, CS 8803 SML.

Forms for various types of permits can be found here:

If you are a graduate student who wishes to take an undergraduate course, you should complete a request form and return it to the forms box in the advising waiting area of the College of Computing, first floor. The instructor of the course MUST approve. These permits will NOT be issued during Phase I.

For 1000/2000 level courses, complete this form:

For 3000/4000 level courses, complete this form:

All permit forms (except MSCS Project forms and Thesis forms) should be submitted to the forms box in the advising waiting area of the College of Computing, first floor. MSCS Project forms and Thesis forms should be submitted to an MSCS advisor VIA EMAIL.  You must email the form (and for MS Project your project proposal) to your MSCS advisor (Last Names A-L, Judy Reese and Last Names M-Z to Amy Hinsley).


Frequently Asked Questions


Q:  What do I do if a Course is CLOSED?

A:  Once the registration cap has been reached for a course, the course is full. In order to request a seat in a closed course, you must follow the instructions below.  We DO NOT accept requests for overrides.


Q: Can a professor help me get into the course?

A:  Please DO NOT email a professor to seek permission to enroll in his/her course, as professors have no control over this.


Q: What does this error message mean?

A:  If you try to register for a course and receive an error message, please refer to the link: for an explanation of what the message means.


Q: What if the class and the waitlist are both full?

A:  The only thing you can do in this situation is wait until something opens up.


Q: I want to add myself to the waitlist, but I am seeing a Course Closed message.  What do I do?

A:  To add yourself to a wait list, you must choose “Add by CRN”. You cannot add yourself to wait list by using “Look Up Classes”


Q: I need some more information about Waitlisting.



Q: I am not a CoC major, but I want permission to take a class.  How do I do that?

A:  See above for information about when major restrictions will be removed.


Q: I am a graduate student.  Can I take the undergraduate version of a course that is cross-listed with both undergrad and grad sections?

A:  If you are a grad student, you should take the grad section of a cross-listed course.


Q: When are waitlists removed from classes?

A:  Waitlists are usually removed from classes on the Thursday before Phase II registration ends.


Q. I understand that students appear on waitlists in the order that they attempt to register.  Is that initial order ever changed?

 A. Yes. Students may be move up on waitlists for classes that they must take to satisfy an undergraduate thread requirement, an MS specialization core or elective class, or to prepare for the PhD qualifying exam.


Q.  Can i register for a CoC graduate-level course if I didn't receive a permit?

A.  If you were not issued a permit for Phase I, this does NOT mean you cannot take the course.  You can continue to try to register for your courses during Phase II registration.