Interested in applying for the CSE PhD program? Submit an application through Georgia Tech admissions and be sure to designate a home unit.*
Keep in Mind:
- Most students entering the CSE graduate degree programs will have obtained a bachelors degree in a technical field, e.g., computer science, mathematics, or a science or engineering discipline.
- Students should have taken undergraduate calculus courses. Some CSE courses will require additional coursework in topics such as linear algebra or differential equations.
- A working knowledge of probability and statistics will also be helpful in some core courses and specializations.
- Students should have taken at least one course, but preferably two and have developed a proficiency in programming in a high level language such as C, FORTRAN or Java.
- Students deficient in one or more of these areas may still gain admission, but should expect to take some additional coursework.
Each student accepted to the CSE program is admitted to a specific “home unit.” Some home units may have some additional requirements beyond those described here. The CSE student handbook includes information concerning such requirements. Financial assistance and lab space are typically determined by the rules and practices of the home unit.
The following may serve as a home unit:
- School of Computational Science and Engineering
- Department of Biomedical Engineering
- School of Aerospace Engineering
- School of Biology
- School of Chemistry and Biochemistry
- School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- School of Industrial and Systems Engineering
- School of Mathematics
GRE and TOEFL test scores
The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) general test scores are required of all applicants to the Computational Science and Engineering degree programs. The minimum scores vary across the home units. In addition, if you are an international student you must have a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score. This score also fluctuates across the home units. If you have attended a US college of university for at least one full academic year, you may be exempt from the TOEFL. More information on GRE and TOEFL scores by home unit available here.
If you have already applied to the CSE graduate degree programs you can check the status of your application here and the status of your reference letters here.