(no subject)

Gregory Abowd (abowd@cc.gatech.edu)
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 17:32:31 -0500

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 09:56:23 -0700
To: newsletter@newton.apple.com
From: noroyan@newton.apple.com (Richelle Noroyan)
Subject: Tapped.In February

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^TAPPED.IN^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Newsletter for Apple Newton SIs, VARs & ISVs Vol. 1 Issue 29 February,
1997
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
CONTENTS
*ANNOUNCEMENTS------------Anticipated Media Coverage
Chip Magazine readers favor the Newton!
A message from Sandy Benett, VP of NSG
Newton Q&A
*INSIDE NSG---------------David Austin, Director of Engineering
*MARKETING FRONT----------Jodie Gilmore, Product Marketing Manager
*VENDOR SPLENDOR----------iambic and WalletWare reviewed
*TECHIE TIP---------------Get Serial!
*TOP PROJECT--------------TBS on the beat with the Derbyshire police
*CALENDAR-----------------Check Out the Upcoming Events!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
*ANNOUNCEMENT* ADVERTISING UPDATE!

We have been actively seeding both the eMate 300 and MessagePad 2000
units to the press, and expect to see a significant number of positive
product reviews in March, April, and May publications. Ads for the
eMate 300 will begin this month in education focused publications such
as Education Week, Electronic Learning, and Technology & Learning. We
plan to begin Message Pad 2000 adverstising in April, in both Windows
and Mac publications, as well as general business dailies. We plan
direct mail campaigns to school superintendents in March and to the
Apple MessagePad installed base in April

Look for additional media coverage of the MessagePad 2000 and eMate 300
in the following places;

February issue: Mirabella, MessagePad 2000 highlight in February issue

March issues: Computer Shopper, MessagePad 2000 product review for March
PC Magazine, MessagePad 2000 product review BYTE, PDA/Handheld round-up
with MP2K Success Magazine, MessagePad 2000 product review

April issues: Pen Computing, eMate 300 on April cover Sun Expert
Magazine, Newton software development review PC Magazine, Internet
access article including MP2K Sales & Field Force Automation MacAddict,
MessagePad 2000 product review

May issues: PC World, MessagePad 2000/MP 130 comparison/product review
Wired, MessagePad 2000 product review The Net, PDA round-up article
Windows Magazine, Newton software development/MP2K review

CHIP MAGAZINE READERS RATE THE MP130 AS THE #1 PDA!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ "Chip" magazine, a
leading publication for PC-users in German speaking regions, recently
saw their readers rate the MessagePad 130 as the best organizer/PDA.
"Chip" is a monthly magazine with a circulation of over 310,000 per
issue. Every year they ask their readers to vote for the best products
of the year. Over 15,000 readers responded and voted in this year's
contest. The MessagePad 130 won the most votes in the best organizer/
PDA catagory. The award was presented to NSG Europe on February 7 in
Munich during "Chip's" award ceremony.

A MESSAGE FROM SANDY BENETT TO THE NEWTON DEVELOPMENT COMMUNITY

Dear Newton Developers and Customers,

Regrettably, there has been a great deal of misinformation in the
newspapers of late regarding our Newton program. An uninformed
outsider's view of the situation coupled with relentless doom-n-gloom
reports in the popular media could lead one to believe Apple was in the
process of "shutting-down" the Newton division. This is not the case.

I want to take this opportunity to provide you with update on our
continued commitment to our products and to you, our developers and
customers. We are committed to complete marketing and sales efforts to
launch our two exciting products this quarter. Both of these products
are in manufacturing ramp and are on target to ship later this quarter.
And we continue to develop future products.

On the marketing front, to support the shipment of the MP2000 and the
eMate 300 we are participating in a number of events over the next
couple of months including the following:

* Demo '97 (Feb 10-12)
* HIMMS - Healthcare show (Feb 17-20)
* MacWorld Tokyo (Feb 19-21)
* FETC - Education Show (Feb 27- Mar 1)
* CEBIT - one of the biggest shows in Europe, held in Hanover, Germany
(March 16-23)

In addition to these events, eMate 300 ads are beginning to appear in
education focused publications such as Education Week, Electronic
Learning and Technology & Learning. We will be advertising the Message
Pad 2000 between April and June in both Windows and Mac publications,
as well as general business dailies. Other marketing activities for the
eMate 300 and MessagePad 2000 include conducting direct mail campaigns
to the school superintendents in March and the MessagePad installed
base in April, revamping our website to include more customer focused
information on our platform, new products, success stories from
customers using our technologies, etc., and utilizing our PR engine to
regain momentum amongst key industry press and analysts.

On the engineering and development front, we are continuing the internal
efforts on our product roadmap for future Newton-based products. There
are currently projects underway at all phases of the development cycle -
from early concept to full development These projects build upon the
strength of the MessagePad 2000 and eMate 300 and focus on future
customer needs and expectations in mobile computing.

In light of the recent reorganization of Apple Computer, the Newton
Systems Group remains intact under the direction of Jim Groff and
myself. The Newton Systems Group continues to be focused exclusively on
this marketplace and expect to be the leader in the category. The
feedback that we have received from analysts and others who have
received "pre-release" units has been extremely positive. The
comparisons to WinCE devices has been very favorable and we are
anticipating exceptional response when we begin shipping these two
products later this quarter. Advance orders on these products is
running above expectations.

The Newton platform is alive and well, and I hope we can count on your
continued support.

Thank you for your support and commitment to the Newton platform,
together we will succeed.

Sandy Benett Vice President, Newton Systems Group

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Q: Will Apple continue to support Newton for the long term?

We continue to enhance our product roadmap for future Newton-based
products. We have a number of product concepts in all phases of the
development cycle. These concepts build upon the strength of the
MessagePad 2000 and eMate 300 and focus on future customer needs and
expectations in mobile computing.

In the short term, we are moving full speed ahead on getting what we
believe are two excellent products to market. The eMate 300, targeted at
education, and the MessagePad 2000, aimed primarily at business
professionals, are both mobile computers, based on the Newton operating
system. We have continued to support and invest in this platform for a
number of years. Based on the positive response from customers and
media, we believe our experience and perserverence with the Newton is
paying off.

Q: Where does Newton fit in Apple's new organizational structure?

The Newton Systems Group continues to be a self-contained unit,
comprising all the professionals needed to bring excellent Newton-based
products to the customer, from the engineers who develop the products to
the sales and marketing teams who support them and work side by side
with the hundreds of Newton developers.

Q: Is Apple considering shutting down the Newton Systems Group?

We have never stated any intention to shut down the group. We have
clearly shown our commitment in getting new Newton-based products to
market. Our focus is on bringing the MessagePad 2000 and the eMate 300,
to market next month and supporting them.

Q: When will Apple finish it's evaluation of the Newton and other
projects?

We are closely evaluating every aspect of our business. As Dr. Amelio
stated at the annual Shareholders meeting, Apple expects this evaluation
to take place over the next month. With regard to Newton, we have two
excellent products about to enter the market, the eMate 300 and
MessagePad 2000, that we are very excited about.

Q: How close are you to shipping the eMate 300 and MessagePad 2000?

Weare on target to ship the eMate 300 and MessagePad 2000 this quarter
as previously announced.

Q: Why will these new products perform better in the market then past
Newton based products?

These new products represent the culmination of Apple's years of
experience in developing the Newton platform to create products that
meet users needs. The MessagePad 2000 is a handheld mobile computer for
the business professional and provides desktop connectivity to both
Windows and Macintosh computers. Core applications ranging from e-mail
and web access to personal productivityare all built in. The MessagePad
2000, which weighs 1. 4 pounds, features the 160 MHz StrongARM processor
which makes it one of the fastest handheld computers on the market. It
is so power thrifty that four AA batteries can provide three to six
weeks of typical usage.

The eMate 300 is a low-cost mobile computer designed for education which
features multi-platform desktop and network connectivity. Created with
input from educators, it offers an affordable way to make technology
accessible to more students than ever before. With a battery life of up
to 24 continuous hours before recharging, the eMate 300 makes it
possible for students to work for long periods of time wherever they
want.

Both products feature Apple's pioneering and award winning Newton
operating system.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

*INSIDE NSG* DAVID AUSTIN, DIRECTOR OF ENGINEERING

Q. Welcome to the Newton group, David. You started just before the
holidays. What do you think so far?

A. Thanks for the welcome. I'm extremely excited about working with such
a great group of committed people, both within the company and out in
the developer community.

I've spent most of my energy coming up to speed on the specific demands
on the NSG engineering group. We are responsible for all of the
engineering, both hardware and software, that make up the products that
Apple ships to customers, as well as providing the core technologies for
our licensing partners.

Q. What do you see as the primary goals of the Newton Engineering group?

A. A primary goal of the organization is to continue to build great
products for our customers. The eMate 300 and MP2000 are perfect
examples of us working toward this goal. In addition we have to make
sure that the technologies that we produce in creating these products
are able to be utilized by our licensees. The goal is to increase the
overall number of Newton products out in the market. This should allow
us to maximize the impact of our technologies and create a strong market
for our developers' products, as well.

To achieve the above goal requires a close collaboration between the
Engineering organization and NSG's Marketing group, as well as the
Support & SQA group. A representative from both these groups sit on my
staff to make sure that the voice of the developer and customer are a
part of how we prioritize what projects to work on. We have a great
group of extremely creative and talented engineers here, but often times
the ideas we need to execute on come from the developer community. My
philosophy is that good ideas are good ideas, regardless of where they
come from.

Q. You've been at Apple for a while. What is your history here?

A. I started in October of 1990. I was hired into the Macintosh Toolbox
group to investigate storage facility technologies. This led to
investigations that created Bento, and then initiated the OpenDoc
program with Jed Harris and Kurt Piersol. I managed the OpenDoc group
from almost the very beginning, and stayed involved through our first
customer ship in 1995. I then went on to work in a group focused on
education specific software. After a great sabbatical this last summer,
I returned and began the search for the best fit for me within Apple.

The Newton group was my first and only real choice. The opportunity to
contribute to an organization that makes such useful and innovative
products is exactly where I want to be.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

*MARKETING FRONT* JODIE GILMORE, PRODUCT MARKETING MANAGER

What is your role in the Newton Systems Group?

I am the Product Marketing Manager for the new eMate 300.

As Product Marketing Manager, what are your main responsibilities?

My goal is to understand the needs of our target customers and the
current trends of the market. This information will allow us to define
our product strategy. Working with engineering, I define product
features based on our customer needs. To make sure developers are aware
of and hopefully creating the software and hardware solutions which are
critical to the product strategy, I coordinate efforts with the
Solutions Marketing group. I also work closely with the Outbound
Marketing group to develop the product positioning and help define the
advertising, collateral, promotional and PR efforts.

The eMate 300 is a very innovative product and a new concept for the
Newton OS, can you tell us more about it?

The eMate 300 is the first Newton OS based product which departs from
the handheld form factor. The idea came about when schools began asking
Apple for an affordable mobile computer which was lightweight, rugged,
easy to use, had extremely long battery life, and offered good
communications and connectivity options. After realizing that the Newton
OS was the perfect platform to meet these customers needs, the Newton
Systems Group signed up to build the product. The result is the eMate
300 which will be available to schools at the end of this quarter.

How has the product been received?

Since the official announcement in late October, the interest and
excitement around the eMate 300 has been overwhelming. Apple's education
customers are furiously requesting product briefings, demo's and
evaluating their buying plans. Teachers and administrators are thrilled
with the eMate 300 and believe this is the perfect product to make the
most of their budgets and improve access to technology in the classroom.

Even outside of education, the eMate 300 has been enthusiastically
received. The question being asked by many who see the product is "when
can I buy one too?" The eMate 300 is also receiving incredible industry
attention. This fall, the eMate 300 was a finalist for "Best of Comdex"
in the laptop category and Popular Science listed the eMate 300 as one
of their Top 100 new products.

Why should Newton Developers be interested in eMate?

The eMate 300 is shaping up to be a very popular new product in the
Education market and Apple's education customers are always looking for
educational software solutions for their curriculum. With the
enthusiastic response to eMate, Apple plans to distribute the product to
consumers by the second half of 1997. Having new and innovative products
from developers will be a key component to the success of this product
that could be a very profitable business.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

* VENDOR SPLENDOR* IAMBIC & WALLETWARE REVIEWED

IAMBIC
^^^^^^
iambic Software, located in downtown San Jose, California
is a rapidly growing software development company focused on developing
full bodied commercial applications for the Apple Newton MessagePad.
TimeReporter, time and expense tracking and billing, iambic's first
application, has matured into a market proven mission critical tool used
by attorneys, consultants and professionals that bill by the hour or bid
jobs on a fixed fee basis.

Iambic followed TimeReporter with the introduction of Action Names, a
contact management utility designed specifically for the Apple Newton
MessagePad. Action Names strikes a chord which users because of its time
and step saving features. Scheduling events, calls and tasks with people
is easier with the one tap controls and pick lists that schedule the
event, enter the person, place, time and date, and phone number reducing
or eliminating time spent manually writing. An at a glance daily or
weekly agenda cleanly shows scheduled activities sorted by type and
time. Each name card has an additional view called the contact history.
The contact history report is generated automatically from scheduled
activities and includes items like notes and spreadsheets that have been
linked to the name. Action Names produces the kind of clear organized
information that successful professionals require without the hours of
effort.

Paper Pak is a unique collection of intelligent stationary that
dramatically extends the notes application of the Newton OS 2.0
operating system. Added to the New button in the notepad application are
eight familiar formats based on real world pieces of paper, impressive
new capabilities and scores of useful tools. Paper Pak is modular which
allows the stationery to be added individually.

The phone message slip is modeled after a familiar pink while you were
out slip. It easily captures all relevant information and keeps track of
calls attempted and completed. Graph paper uses the Apple Newton
MessagePad's drawing tools and adds features like snap to grid and
variable grid size. A professional memorandum and personalized note make
faxed or printed communication from the Newton look polished and
professional. Using quick pick tools on the direction taking paper, it's
easy to take down and permanently store directions given verbally. The
two column paper makes it possible to use the notepad as you would a
paper notepad with a line drawn down the middle. Compare alternatives,
keep score, make lists or enter calculations. Smart math tools add,
subtract, multiply, divide, average and solve an equation. A named note
makes it possible to associate a notepad note to an individual in the
names file. Blank paper has no lines and is the classic blank sheet of
paper.

Paper Pak further eliminates the need to carry paper based information
which can now be stored and easily accessible within the MessagePad.

Iambic Software just recently introduced Sub Patrol, an action adventure
sub hunting game for the Newton OS 2.0 and later.

Sub Patrol is a truly addictive game where you command one of three
surface ships with varying capability and weaponry. An increasingly
aggressive enemy traverses the waters beneath your ship launching
torpedoes to the surface. Accumulate points by sinking enemy subs.
Progress through higher levels of difficulty where you accumulate more
weapons. Rescue survivors of enemy ships before they become shark bait
and you are rewarded with gratuitous repair of your ship's hull or
additional sea planes or helicopters. Use the powerful magnet you drop
from your helicopter to thwart the enemy's efforts to disable your ship
with its metal cased torpedoes.

Iambic's web site http://www.iambic.com has detailed information and
screen shots for all products.

WALLETWARE, INC.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last year, WalletWare, Inc. released a totally redesigned version
of their flagship Newton product, ExpensePlus 2.0. With over
24,000 users, ExpensePlus is now one of the top market leaders
in the Newton industry. ExpensePlus simplifies the ability to
capture expense information in real-time while traveling, then
send the expense data directly to an expense report on a desktop
computer without having to export and import the data! This is
an opportunity for SIs and VARs to offer a complete solution for
their customers that includes capturing expense data and
automatically filling in their clients own custom expense
report form.

For Macintosh users, ExpensePlus can send the data from the PDA to
several Mac applications -- such as Excel, FileMaker, or Informed
Filler. ExpensePlus will automatically launch the Mac application, open
the customer's own custom expense report, and fill in the data
automatically! And you don't have to do any programming in ExpensePlus
to link it to most expense report forms. For Windows users, some Visual
Basic programming is required. Once you've completed the initial setup
for either platform, your customer simply taps a button on his
MessagePad, and the expense report is automatically generated on the
desktop computer.

ExpensePlus ships with many expense report templates for Microsoft
Excel, FileMaker Pro, and Informed Filler. If a customer doesn't require
a custom expense report, they might choose to use one of the included
templates. ExpensePlus can also print or fax (including your digitized
signature!) directly from the MessagePad in a wide variety of summary
reports or expense itemized listings.

Other features:

* Automatic foreign currency conversions
* Create custom categories with your own choices of icons
* Bar graphs and pie charts with drill-down capabilities
* "Per diem" limit tracking by category (or category groups)
* Track expenses by credit card, cash, or checks. Identify which
credit cards are paid directly by your company, and ExpensePlus will
track which expenses are reimbursable or not.
* Track expenses by client, job costing, profit center or any user-defined
classification.
*Track odometer readings for mileage reimbursement amounts
* Label expenses as business (reimbursable) or personal
(tax deductible or not).

One of ExpensePlus' most useful features is the ability to create
expense slips from the Notepad using the Expense stationery. The next
time your customer launches ExpensePlus, it will automatically read in
all of the expense slips from your notepad.

With all of this power, ExpensePlus rivals even the most powerful
expense reporting applications on desktop computers -- yet it runs on a
Newton PDA. This may make it seem like ExpensePlus might be difficult to
learn or use -- but its icon-driven interface is surprisingly simple and
elegant. Try it yourself -- download a free demo of the product from
WalletWare's web site at www.walletware.com. You can also download the
complete ExpensePlus 2.0 manual in .pdf format.

WalletWare, Inc., 13 Bragg, Irvine, CA 92620 Phone: 714 262-9380 Fax:
714 262-9381 email: sales@walletware.com www.walletware.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

*TECHIE TIP*
Maurice Sharp, Newton DTS Engineer

One of the new features in Newton OS 2.1 is the ability to support a
unique serial number chip. Both the MessagePad 2000 and eMate 300 will
have these chips. Since each unit has a unique number it can be used for
inventory tracking, copy protection, or just geek factor. Note the ROM
serial number is NOT the same as the serial number on the outside of the
unit. The ROM number is meant for programmers, not users.

You access the serial number by calling a function that is provided as a
magic pointer. The function is accessed by the constant
ROM_GetSerialNumber. This constant is defined in the Newton OS 2.1
platform file. The function will return a binary object that is 8 bytes
long. If there is no serial number chip, the function will return nil.

As an example of usage, you can get a human readable hex dump of the
serial number by using the StrHexDump function.

So an example call would be:

StrHexDump(call ROM_GetSerialNumber with (), 0) #C41A2E5
"0000000001548423"

Note: Since your code is likely to run on non-OS 2.1 units, you should
check to make sure the magic pointer is valid by wrapping your call in a
try/onException block:

try sn := call ROM_GetSerialNumber with () onException |evt.ex| do nil;

if sn then ...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

*TOP PROJECT* TBS IS ON THE BEAT WITH THE DERBYSHIRE POLICE

TBS Systems, located in Derbyshire, UK recently started A pilot program
for the Derbyshire Constabulary. MessagePad 120/130's have replaced the
officer's little black books. Instead of jotting down details of a crime
and typing them up later, officers on the beat are now able to enter the
information into their MessagePad and transmit it back to the host
computer over the GSM wireless network.

At the scene of a crime, the officer on patrol will take the crime
details down by filling in forms on the MessagePad. All the information
that is needed by the police can be entered into the MessagePad. The
information is validated and formatted correctly for transmission to the
host. Specific details about the type of crime can be reported, for
example, if the crime was a burglary every conceivable method of
entering the house is listed for the officer to choose from.

The MessagePad also stores approximately 2500 post codes and addresses
for use in validating the victim addresses, scene of crime addresses,
etc.

This information is then transmitted back to the host, which will reply
with a police crime number to allow the victim to progress with
insurance claims immediately.

An entire incident can be recorded in a matter of minutes, whereas
previously it was taking in excess of 20 minutes for the officer to type
the information into a terminal when he/she returned to the police
station. Also the information entered into the MessagePad is prompted
for and validated, thus reducing the risk of essential information being
missed.

Also on pilot with Derbyshire Police is a system developed by TBS for
access to the Police National Computer (PNC), used by officers on the
beat for online checking of vehicles and persons. The original method
used by officers to obtain information about a vehicle or person was for
the officer to radio into the control desk and ask for a PNC check to be
done. An operator would then enter the request into a terminal, and
radio the results back to the officer. This was a very laborious task,
and it could take some time for the officer to receive the information
requested, especially if there are a lot of vehicles to check.

TBS has developed an online system using MessagePad 120 and 130's and
GSM cellular technology to allow the officers to link directly to the
PNC and request the information themselves. Thus reducing the amount of
time it takes to get information back to the officer, and reducing the
workload on the control room.

Information received about each vehicle can be very detailed, for
example, if the vehicle was stolen, if it was used in any robberies, ram
raids, who owns the vehicle, has it been re-sprayed, engine size, ect.
It also mentions if the vehicle details are interesting and if the
officer would like to know more about the owner, a person check is
issued at the touch of a button.

The information received from a person check is even more detailed. It
will inform the officer if the person is dangerous, missing, wanted, any
distinguishing features, aliases, driving licence status, just to name a
few.

The officer out on the beat can fill in up to 15 vehicle registration
numbers, or a person's details, name, sex, height etc. The MessagePad
will then log-on to the PNC Bridge server which will enter the details
into the PNC, request the information and transmit the results back to
the officer.

This system has greatly increased the officers use of the PNC. Quick
access to vehicle and person information has allowed officers to do more
checks in less time, allowing the officers to work more efficiently.

For more information please contact; TBS Systems Ltd. Steve Reynolds. 6
Derby Road, Belper, Derbyshire, DE56 1UU, United Kingdom. Tel: +44 (0)
1773-828766. Fax: +44 (0) 1773-829939. eMail: sales@tbsSystems.co.uk
WWW: http://www.tbssystems.co.uk/tbsnewt
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

*CALENDAR MARK YOUR CALENDAR!!
|X X X X X|
|# # # # #|
|# # # # #| * The Newton Systems Group will have a presence in |#
# # # #| the following upcoming events:

HIMMS Conference and Exhibition San Diego, CA February 16-20

The Health Care Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) is
holding their annual event to showcase today's key innovations in
healthcare delivery and administration, including telemedicine,
computer-basedpatient records, and portable/wireless health care
computing.

MacWorld Tokyo Tokyo, Japan February 19-21

The Apple Japan team will be demonstrating the MessagePad 2000. Press
briefings and presentations for the MP2000 are planned during this
event.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
* NEWTON PROGRAMMING COURSES - from Newton Systems Group Developer
Training

With the great early success of Newton 2.0, now is the time to take
advantage of the Newton 2.0 Developer Training offered through Apple
Developer University. This training will cut your learning and
development time while providing you the expertise needed to write
useful and powerful Newton 2.0 applications. Currently offered courses
include:

- - Newton Programming: ESSENTIALS 2.0 Learn how to write, test, and debug
fully-functional Newton 2.0 applications using Newton Toolkit 1.6 for
Windows and Macintosh, NewtonScript, and NewtApp. Students spend much of
their time doing hands-on development and debugging, and have continual
access to a highly qualified and accomplished instructor. Any programmer
with object-oriented development experience is welcome to attend the
Essentials 2.0 class. Communications are briefly overviewed.

Class: Newton 2.0 Essentials