Primary Computing Platform
- The distribution of primary computing platforms across all sampled
populations closely resembles computer marketing reports like the NPD Group:
52.0% Windows, 26.2% Macintosh, & 8.8% Unix. These three platforms account for 87% of
all platforms reported.
- These ratios differ greatly to those collected during the 2nd survey (See:
where the distribution was: 44% Unix, 29% PC, & 19% Macintosh. Clearly,
online services providing access to the Web and the Internet have influenced
and helped balanced these ratios.
- These number support the hypothesis that the Web is now mid stream in its
evolution, with the first stages being dominated primarily by the
technology developers (UNIX based) followed by wider acceptance by the
"early adopters/seekers" (PC and Mac based) in the later stages.
- Not surprisingly, Prodigy users almost exclusively use Windows as their
primary computing platform (86.5%). The fact that this percentage is not
100% indicates that some users may 1) subscribe to Prodigy and 2) have filled
out the survey via Prodigy, but primarily use other platforms, e.g. when at
- Overall, women are more likely to use Windows (59.1% women vs 50.9%
men) than Macintoshes (22.2% women vs 26.92% men) or Unix machines (7.5% women
vs 8.9% men) than men.
Table of Data for All Categories
For more information or to submit comments:
send e-mail to email@example.com.
GVU's WWW Surveying Team
Graphics, Visualization, & Usability Center
College of Computing
Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, GA 30332-0280