The Academy of Scholars is seeking to identify highly motivated and qualified individuals for multiple opportunities as System Administrator Interns. Potential student interns have instructional and preferably hands on system administration experience gained while attending college. Interns will initially shadow the school’s Instructional Technology Manager to observe and learn day-to-day activities and responsibilities. Positions are part-time and management is willing to work around your school schedule. These positions will give interns an opportunity to develop as system administrators with hands on experience for future growth.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or any closely related discipline.
- Programming experience with HTML, Java, SQL, Linux and PHP desirable.
Skills and abilities:
- Assist the Instructional Technology Manager in all stages of their day-to-day activities.
- Basic verbal and written communication skills including, but not limited to, listen effectively, and solicit input from others.
- Basic ability to use Microsoft Office programs including but not limited to, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Basic organizational skills including, but not limited to, the ability to handle multiple demands and assignments, the ability to prioritize tasks effectively and efficiently, and the ability to manage resource procurement and utilization
- This is a part time position. A 20-hour work week is expected; however, office hours are flexible
- Basic understanding of networking protocols and concepts
- Effective problem solver
- Development experience with an operating system other than Windows is required
- Experience with web-services or service-oriented architectures is a plus
- Experience working with Google for Education is a major plus
The responsibilities of the System Administrator currently include:
• Plans, analyzes, develops, programs, modifies, tests, debugs, and implements complex computer systems; defines and develops requirements for creative, logical, and effective solutions; confers with management to determine feasibility of recommendations.
• Troubleshoots and resolves problems and/or process identification and definition.
• Analyzes system problems and takes corrective action.
• Maintains security access to computer system information and reviews system/database tools for functionality, status, and applicability.
• Develops and documents data standards; prepares documentation for new systems and system modifications in accordance with established standards and procedures.
• Prepares and analyzes a variety of system reports and makes recommendations on system upgrades.
• Evaluates hardware and/or software for improvements and possible modifications;
• Technical knowledge of current network hardware, protocols, and standards.
• Good working knowledge of Google Apps and associated collaboration tools.
• Development experience with HTML, Web development, Windows, Mac OS and Linux development environments.
• The desire and ability to keep current with the latest technologies.
• Highly self-motivated and directed with strong time-management capabilities.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills. A natural tendency towards good communication. Ability to communicate complex technical issues and initiatives in an accurate yet understandable way.
Strong technical knowledge of network, Mac OS, PC operating systems, including Windows physical and VM environments.