Charles River Analytics is seeking a Scientist II who will support evaluation of research ideas (both empirical and qualitative) and document your results in a form suitable for peer-reviewed publication. You will need to be able to quickly read and understand scientific papers in new domains, and apply previous research to create new designs, while remaining abreast of current design trends, scientific advances, and software development practices. This position is one that is best suited to an independent thinker with an entrepreneurial drive, as there will be significant opportunity to define your own areas of specialization through generation of novel proposals to develop awesome technical solutions as you grow into your role.
- Analyze and design visual representations for complex problems
- Develop software implementations of signal filtering and noise reduction algorithms
- Develop feature extraction methodologies and implement them in code for real time signal analysis
- Pursue novel applications of technologies to address challenging real-world problems, including establishing new areas of research
- Contribute to proposals, reports and papers, and present work at briefings and conferences when appropriate
- Work with software engineers in developing technology solutions
- Interact with customers, users, and domain experts to analyze and understand challenges
- Bachelor’s degree in Neuroscience/Cognitive Science/Psychology, Human Factors Engineering, Human-Computer Interaction, or a related field
- Demonstrated ability to lead innovative, self-directed research, manage relationships with customers and users, and identify and pursue emerging opportunities
- Ability to apply scientific theories to user needs and work well with a software engineering team to define the direction of technical solutions
- Experience developing experimental systems, software applications or embedded systems that acquire and process input from hardware sensors
- Proficiency in at least one of the following languages: C/C++, Python, Matlab, Java, R
- Proficiency in at least one of the following data science software tools: pandas, tensorflow, scikit-learn, luigi, nipype, mne, statsmodels, pymc3
- Ability to identify and articulate creative and technically-sound solutions to challenging scientific and operational human-machine system problems
- Proven ability to generate proposals, publications, or similar written materials
- Strong verbal and written skills to support proposal writing, interaction with customers, and presentations at technical conferences
Candidates with the Following Qualifications will be Highly Considered:
- Master’s or PhD in Neuroscience/Cognitive Science/Psychology, Human Factors Engineering, Human-Computer Interaction, or a related field
- 2 or more years of relevant experience
- A record of publications in any of the above fields
- Exposure to data science best practices including dashboard visualization (Tableau, R Shiny, D3), analysis narrative tools (jupyter, R Notebook), and graphing tools (matplotlib, seaborn, ggplot)
- Experience with machine learning, computer vision, or computational neuroscience
- Military experience
- Experience directly interacting with customers and/or users, including knowledge elicitation experience
Candidates should have a demonstrated capability to work both independently and effectively within a team environment, and will be expected to interact with and present to clients. Writing and design samples may be requested.
Charles River Analytics offers competitive compensation plus bonus with an attractive benefits package including: up to 90% employer-paid medical and 100% employer-paid dental, vision, life and disability insurance, profit sharing, paid maternity/paternity leave, tuition reimbursement, monthly gym allowance, free parking, generous paid time off, and a casual environment. We are also accessible by public transportation.
Charles River Analytics is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, military service, veteran status, age, ancestry, genetic information, gender identity and expression or disability.
Charles River Analytics is an Affirmative Action Employer and complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendment Act (ADAAA). If you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position at Charles River Analytics, please indicate so on your application.