The USA Patriot Act, FISA, and Leakers/Whistleblowers
Back when this course had a final exam, the content here was a guide to what you
needed to know for the exam. I'm still including it as a guide to what I think an
informed human should understand, and what you should understand before attending
section this week:
- What is the history of FISA?
- What are the key provisions of FISA?
- USA Patriot Act
- What is the history of the USA Patriot Act?
- What are the key provisions of the USA Patriot Act?
- What is section 215 of the Patriot Act and why is it controversial?
- Who is Brandon Mayfield, what happened to him, and why is this significant?
- National Security Letters
- What is a National Security Letter (NSL)?
- How has the use of NSLs changed over time?
- Discuss arguments in favor of and against the use of NSLs