CX 4010/CSE 6010 Computational Problem SolvingLast taught: Fall 2020 (hybrid mode)
Description: This course is designed for students with limited computing background to prepare for upper division and graduate coursework in computer science or computational science and engineering. Grading is based on exams and quizzes for more basic course material along with individual and small-group programming assignments.
- Elementary data structures, such as arrays, lists, trees, graphs, hash tables, heaps
- Algorithms and their analysis
- Hardware, computer architecture, and operating systems and concurrency issues
- C programming and software development in small groups
- Software engineering (code design, debugging, testing, documentation)
CSE 8010 Biomedical Modeling (special topics)Last taught: Spring 2019
Description: This course is focused on modeling and simulation in the biomedical context with the goal of understanding how models are created, solved, and used. At the same time, developing skills in interpreting results obtained using biomedical models and articulating strengths and limitations of modeling approaches also is emphasized. Grading includes a mix of assignments, a project, and class participation.
- Modeling cellular dynamics using differential equations: FitzHugh-Nagumo model and phase space, Hodgkin-Huxley and other neural models, cardiac models, other systems (e.g., pancreatic beta cells)
- Modeling tissue-level dynamics: cardiac fibers/tissue, networks of cells
- Discrete-time approaches to modeling dynamics: cellular automata, timed automata
- Subcellular modeling: cell signaling models, intracellular calcium
- Solving biomedical models: issues in numerical integration of differential equations, modeling anatomical structures
- Parameter estimation for biomedical models: Genetic algorithms, data assimilation, Bayesian approaches, uncertainty quantification, identifiability issues
- Applications of biomedical models: Cardiac arrhythmias, diabetes, epilepsy, circadian rhythms, cyber-physical systems, others