External pages for courses I teach:
My father is a well-known Tamil writer
(pen name: Umachandran, author of the award winning novel
"Mullum Malarum" in the
which was made into a
My older brother
is a Member of the Legislative Assembly in the State of Tamilnadu, India
(previously, he was the Director General of Police
for the Tamilnadu State).
I am married to
and we have two children
As of 7/30/2017, I have a new status in life...a grandpa...Shalini
and her husband Sunil have given me this status boost through their baby
I am an avid squash player, and can be arm-twisted to hold a tennis
racket every once in a while!
Check out my daughter's assessment (at age 9) of how I look by clicking
Check out what I did during the winter break (2009-2010) by clicking
I received my Ph. D.
in Computer Science from the University of Wisconsin, Madison in 1986
under the direction of
Since then I have been with Georgia Tech (home of the yellow jackets),
where currently I am a Professor in the College of Computing.
Recently, I led a faculty team that defined the curriculum and the
implementation for an online MS program in Computer Science
using MOOC technology for the College of Computing,
which is currently providing an opportunity for students
to pursue a low-cost graduate education in
computer science internationally.
In the past, I have served as the Director of
from 2007 to 2014 (collaborative research between Samsung and Georgia Tech), and as the Director of
Korean Programs for the College of Computing from 2007 to 2011 (offering an MS in Embedded Software in S. Korea
funded by the South Korean Government aimed at students coming from leading industries
such as Samsung and LG).
For two years (July 2003 to August 2005) I served as the Chair of the
Core Computing Division within the College of Computing.
My research interests are in the area of
architectural design, programming, and
analysis of parallel and distributed systems.
Currently, I am leading a project that deals with
large-scale situation awareness using distributed
camera networks and multi-modal sensing with applications
to surveillance, connected vehicles, and transportation.
In the past, I have been involved in the design and evaluation of
several large experimental systems including Clouds,
(joint with (RIP) Compaq
Cambridge Research Lab),
(sensor-based distributed computing).
I received a Presidential Young Investigator (PYI) Award from the
National Science Foundation (NSF) in 1990, the Georgia Tech Doctoral
Thesis Advisor Award in 1993, the College of Computing Outstanding Senior
Research Faculty Award in 1996, the College of Computing Dean's Award in 2003 and 2014,
William A. "Gus" Baird Faculty Teaching Award
from the College of
Computing in 2004,
Peter A. Freeman Faculty Award
from the College of Computing in 2009 and in 2013,
Outstanding Faculty Mentor Award
from the College of Computing in 2014,
and became an
My PhD Lineage
for Jeff Ullman's progeny)
Known PhD siblings
M. V. S. Ramanath,
Will E. Leland,
Mary D. P. Leland,
Prasun Dewan(UNC-Chapel Hill),
Tracking my PhD Progeny
Recent Alumni of my Research Group
- Dr. Yousef Khalidi (1989) - Distinguished Engineer, Microsoft Corp.
(formerly Distinguished Engineer, Sun Microsystems)
- Dr. Joonwon Lee (1991) - Professor, Computer Systems Laboratory, School of Information and Communication Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University, South Korea
- Dr. Walter B. Ligon III (1992) - Associate Professor, Department of ECE, Clemson University, South Carolina
- Dr. Martin Davis (1992) - (e-mail: martin (at) martinhdavisjr.com)
- Dr. Ajay Mohindra (1993) - IBM T.J.Watson Research Center
- Dr. Anand Sivasubramaniam (1995) - Professor, Department of CSE, Pennsylvania State University
- Dr. Vibby Gottemukkala (1995) - CAMPSYS Corp.
- Dr. Sreenivas Gukal (1995) - CA Technologies
- Dr. Gautam Shah (1995) - IBM Kingston (SP2 group)
- Dr. Aman Singla (1997) - Vice President - Engineering, QualComm Atheros
- Dr. Zachary Alan Kurmas
(2004) - Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science &
Information Systems, Grand Valley State University
- Dr. Sameer Adhikari (2004) - Intel Corp.
- Dr. Arnab Paul (2005) - Intel Corp.
- Dr. Josh Fryman (2005) - Intel Corp.
- Dr. Matt Wolenetz (2005) - Google
- Dr. Rajnish Kumar (2006) - Founder/CTO, Verificient
Dr. Nissim Harel
(2006) - Faculty of Sciences,
Holon Institute of Technology, Israel
- Dr. Xiang Song (2008) - Google
- Dr. Hasnain Mandviwala (2008) - VMware
- Dr. David Hilley (2009) - Google
Dr. Nova Ahmed (2010) - Assistant Professor,
Department of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science,
North South University,
- Dr. Bikash Agarwalla (2010) - Facebook
- Dr. Hyojun Kim (2012) - Google
- Dr. Lateef Yusuf (2014) - Google
- Dr. Mungyung Ryu (2014) - Google
- Dr. Kirak Hong (2014) - Google
- Dr. Dave Lillethun (2015) - Seattle University
- Dr. Dushmanta Mohapatra (2015) - Oracle
- Dr. Beate Ottenwalder (2016) (Co-Advisor, Primary Advisor: Professor Kurt Rothermel, IPVS, U of Stuttgart, Germany) - Bosch, Germany
- Dr. Ruben Mayer (2018) (Co-Advisor, Primary Advisor: Professor Kurt Rothermel, IPVS, U of Stuttgart, Germany) - IPVS, U of Stuttgart, Germany
- Toby Reyelts, BS 2000, Google
- Anand Lakshminarayanan, MS 2000, Microsoft
- Russ Keldorph, MS 2000, Microsoft
- Kirill Mechitov, BS 2001, Grad Student UIUC
- Durga Devi Mannaru, MS 2001, IBM Research Triangle Park, NC.
- Ansley Post, BS 2002, Grad Student Rice U.
- Rajat Sharma, MS 2003, Verizon Wireless
- Zaib Talat, BS 2003
- Ilya Bagrak, BS 2004, Grad Student UC-Berkeley
- Martin Modahl, MS 2004
- Sam Young, BS 2007, Amazon
- Steven French, BS 2007, Microsoft
- Vladimir Urazov, MS December 2007, Citadel Investment Group
- Aninda Ray, MS December 2008, Microsoft Corp.
- Jatin Kumar, MS December 2008, NVIDIA Corp.
- Steven Dalton, BS May 2009, Grad Student UIUC
- Amit Warke, MS December 2009, HP Labs
- Matthew McCawley, BS
- Brian Stebar II, BS
- Brandon Whitehead, BS
- Michael DeRosa, BS
- Brent Rowswell, BS
- Stewart Butler, BS
- Jinghui Wang, BS
- Chayong Lee, BS
- Bhavana Challa, MS 2012, Linkedin
- Shruti Padamata, MS 2014, Google
- Wonhee Cho
- Enrique Saurez
- Harshit Gupta
- Zhuangdi (Andy) Xu
- Adam Hall
- Ashish Bijlani
Visit the following places for a description related to
my past research activities.
NSF Research Infrastructure Project
- The Stampede System
- The Beehive Cluster System
- TASS: A Top-down Approach to Scalability Study
As a reward for visiting my homepage here is a recipe for
invented by my wife Vasanthi!
- Dr. Umakishore Ramachandran
College of Computing, Georgia Tech
Klaus Advanced Computing Building (KACB 2340)
266 Ferst Dr., Atlanta, GA 30332.
- E-mail: rama at cc dot gatech dot edu