Stephen M. Lee-Urban, PhD
Senior Research Scientist
|Email:||urban dot first name at gmail|
If what you're really after is my curriculum vitae, then please follow the link and enjoy! In May, 2012, I completed my Ph.D. in Computer Science at Lehigh University. I'm now at the Georgia Technology Research Institute, after having worked at GT as a research scientist / post-doc under Dr. Mark Riedl. My research interests are in the fields of plan generation and reuse, improved understandability and informability of artificial intelligence approaches, AI in games, cognitive systems, case-based reasoning and narrative computing.
- CS 4731/7632: Game AI (Fall 2020)
- CS 3600: Intro to AI (Summer 2020)
- CS 4731/7632: Game AI (Fall 2019)
- CS 4731/7632: Game AI (Spring 2018)
- CS 4731/7632: Game AI (Summer 2016)
- CS 4731/7632, LMC 4731: Game AI (Summer 2015)
- CS 4731/8803: Game AI (Summer 2013)
- 2013-present: Research scientist at Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) doing fundamental and applied research in several domains, including spectrum (communications and radar), cyber operations, and process visualization.
- April 2013: recipient of GT's "Outstanding Post-Doctoral Research Award" in the College of Computing (one recipient/year).
- Oct 2011-2013: Working at the Georgia Institute of Technology as a research scientist for Dr. Mark Riedl
- March 2011-Oct 2011: Consulted to Walt Disney Imagineering (through CaseWorks LLC) as Technical Lead (see resume for details)
- 2007-2012: Working on thesis, which explores how computer generated plans can be quickly and correctly adapted to solve new problems by using a heretofore unused kind of descriptive knowledge.
- 2006-2007: DARPA sponsored Transfer Learning project. Enabled and tested machine learning algorithms in the most complex class of software simulations, real-time strategy games.
- 2004-2005: Navy Research Labs (NRL) funded "Testbed for Investigating and Evaluating Learning Techniques" project. Constructed a planning-language translator between a class of declarative-syntax based representations and a class of imperative-syntax based representations. Such a translator proved that one is as semantically expressive as the other, a point at the time unresolved in field literature.Feel free to check out the main website for the TIELT project, and the page for TIELT projects at Lehigh.
- Odom, P., Hebard, R., & Lee-Urban, S. ``HuManIC: human machine interpretive control.'' Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces: Companion, 2019.
- Whitaker, E., and Lee-Urban, S., ``Intelligent Agent Representations of Malware: Analysis to Prepare for Future Cyber Threats,'' in Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics (AHFE), Orlando, FL., 2016.
- Lee-Urban, S., Whitaker, E., Riley, M., Trewhitt, E. ``Two Complementary Network Modeling and Simulation Approaches to Aid in Understanding Advanced Cyber Threats,'' in Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics (AHFE), Orlando, FL., 2016.
- Trewhitt, E., Lee-Urban, S., Odom, J., Guinn, M., Lewis, T., Riley, M., Dickerson, M., Whitaker, E., Thurmond, G., Tornquist, E., ``Analysis of the Use of Intelligent Agents in Cyber Operations Testing,'' in Proceedings of the US Army Operations Research Symposium (AORS), Aberdeen, MD., 2015.
- Trewhitt, E. B., Lee-Urban, S., Odom, J., Guinn, M., Lewis, T., Riley, M., Dickerson, M., Whitaker, E., Thurmond, G., Tornquist, E., ``Intelligent Agents in Cyber Operations Testing,'' in ITEA Test Technology Review. Huntsville, AL., 2015.
- Lee-Urban, S., Bieder, I., Odom, J., Boone, T., Trewhitt, E. B., & Whitaker, E. T., “CORA - A Flexible Hybrid Approach to Building Cognitive Systems,” in Proceedings of the Third Annual Conference on Advances in Cognitive Systems Poster Collection (p. 28), 2015.
- Boyang Li, Stephen Lee-Urban, and Mark O. Riedl. Crowdsourcing interactive fiction games. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on the Foundations of Digital Games, Chania, Crete, Greece, 2013.
- Boyang Li, Stephen Lee-Urban, George Johnston, and Mark O. Riedl. Story Generation with Crowdsourced Plot Graphs. Proceedings of the 27th AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Bellevue, Washington, 2013.
- Boyang Li, Stephen Lee-Urban, D. Scott Appling, and Mark O. Riedl. Crowdsourcing Narrative Intelligence. Advances in Cognitive Systems, vol. 2, 2012.
- Boyang Li, Stephen Lee-Urban, and Mark O. Riedl. Toward Autonomous Crowd-Powered Creation of Interactive Narratives. Proceedings of the 5th AAAI Workshop on Intelligent Narrative Technologies, Palo Alto California, 2012.
- Boyang Li, D. Scott Appling, Stephen Lee-Urban, and Mark O. Riedl. Learning Sociocultural Knowledge via Crowdsourced Examples. Proceedings of the 4th AAAI Workshop on Human Computation, Toronto, Canada, 2012.
- Boyang Li, Stephen Lee-Urban, Darren Scott Appling, and Mark O. Riedl. (2012) Automatically Learning to Tell Stories about Social Situations from the Crowd. Proceedings of the LREC 2012 Workshop on Computational Models of Narrative, Istanbul, Turkey, 2012.
- Alexander Zook, Stephen Lee-Urban, Mark O. Riedl, Heather K. Holden, Robert A. Sottilare, and Keith W. Brawner. (2012) Automated Scenario Generation: Toward Tailored and Optimized Military Training in Virtual Environments. Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on the Foundations of Digital Games, Raleigh, North Carolina, 2012.
- Alexander Zook, Stephen Lee-Urban, Michael Drinkwater, and Mark O. Riedl. (2012) Skill-based Mission Generation: A Data-driven Temporal Player Modeling Approach. Proceedings of the 3rd Workshop on Procedural Content Generation in Games, Raleigh, North Carolina, 2012.
- Gillespie, K., Karneeb, J., Lee-Urban, S., and Munoz-Avila, H. (2010) Imitating Inscrutable Enemies: Learning from Stochastic Policy Observation, Retrieval and Reuse. To appear in Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Case Based Reasoning (ICCBR 2010). AAAI Press.
- Lee-Urban, S., Munoz-Avila, H. (2009) Adaptation Versus Retrieval Trade-Off Revisited: an Analysis of Boundary Conditions. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Case-Based Reasoning (ICCBR-09).
- Auslander, B., Lee-Urban, S., Hogg, C., and Munoz-Avila, H. (2008) Recognizing The Enemy: Combining Reinforcement Learning with Strategy Selection using Case-Based Reasoning. Proceedings of the 9th European Conference on Case-Based Reasoning (ECCBR-08).
- Hogg, C., Lee-Urban, S., Auslander, B., and Munoz-Avila, H. (2008) Discovering Feature Weights for Feature-Based Indexing of Q-Tables. Proceedings of the Uncertainty and Knowledge Discovery in CBR Workshop at the 9th European Conference on Case-Based Reasoning (ECCBR-08).
- Lee-Urban, S., Smith, M. & Munoz-Avila, H. 2008. Learning Winning Policies in Team-Based First-Person Shooter Games. AI Game Programing Wisdom 4. Charles River Media.
- Vasta, M., Lee-Urban S. & Munoz-Avila, H. 2007. RETALIATE: Learning Winning Policies in First-Person Shooter Games. Proceedings of the Seventeenth Innovative Applications of Artificial Intelligence Conference (IAAI-07). AAAI Press.
- Warfield, I., Hogg, C., Lee-Urban, S., Munoz-Avila, H. 2007. Adaptation of Hierarchical Task Network Plans. Proceedings of the Twentieth Flairs International Conference (FLAIRS-07). AAAI Press.
- Sanchez-Ruiz, A., Lee-Urban, S., Munoz-Avila, H., Diaz-Agude, B., & Gonzalez-Calero, P. 2007. Game AI for a Turn-based Strategy Game with Plan Adaptation and Ontology-based retrieval. Proceedings of the workshop on Planning in Games at the International Conference on Automated Planning and Scheduling (ICAPS-07).
- Lee-Urban, S., Parker, A., Kuter, U., Munoz-Avila, H., & Nau, D. 2007. Transfer Learning of Hierarchical Task-Network Planning Methods in a Real-Time Strategy Game. Proceedings of the AI Planning and Learning Workshop (AIPL) at the International Conference on Automated Planning and Scheduling (ICAPS-07).
- Lee-Urban, S. Munoz-Avila, H. 2006. A study of Process Languages for Planning Tasks. Proceedings of the sixteenth International Conference on AI Planning and Scheduling (ICAPS-06) Doctoral Consortium.
- Hoang, H., Lee-Urban, S., and Munoz-Avila, H. 2005. Hierarchical Plan Representations for Encoding Strategic Game AI. Proceedings of Artificial Intelligence and Interactive Digital Entertainment Conference (AIIDE-05). AAAI Press.
- Ponsen, M., Lee-Urban, S., Munoz-Avila, H., Aha, D., and Molineaux, M. 2005. Stratagus: An Open-Source Game Engine for Research in Real-Time Strategy Games. Workshop for International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI-05).
- Lee-Urban, S. TMK Models to HTNs: Translating Process Models into Hierarchical Task Networks. Master's thesis, 2005.