[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Pen Computers Outside

My company sell pen systems for mobile engineers in the UK.

Our computer options have been whittled down to IBM 360P units as
these have all the things we like:- big hard disks, good battery,
durability, hardware maintenance support etc. However, we can't see them
outside as they have colour screens. Snag: 90% of inspections are outside.

So we've looked around for solutions, not finding many but one
possible solution is to apply a coating to the screen which enables the
LCD light to pass through without the sunlight whiting out the screen.

The supplier of the films we need is called OCLI. They have demonstrated
the films to us and they appear to improve the readibility a great deal.
 A coating is applied to the top of the screen and another to
the underside of the screen.

The problem we have is that we do not know of any companies in the UK who
have the facilities to apply these films. They need to be applied in a
dust free environment. OCLI do not know anybody in the UK who will do it,
they know US companies who provide the service but this will take a six
week lead time which is too long for our clients (and us) to wait.

Does anybody know UK companies who can dismantle a pen computer, apply
the films in a clean zone then reassemble them? Or possibly Europe if we
can achieve a quick turnaround.

Thanks in advance.

David Morris
dpmorris@cix.compulink.co.uk