Student Registration Dates & Information - Graduate

Graduate Registration Information 

The schedule is subject to change at any time.  Students should refer to OSCAR for the most up to date information.

Spring 2024 Phase I Registration

In order to prevent the course hoarding behavior that causes many students not to be able to get into classes during Phase I, and creates great stress for students with later time tickets, we will be using the following procedure for registration:

All CS/CSE graduate courses will be PERMIT RESTRICTED for the ENTIRETY of Phase I registration.  

CoC graduate students and associated interdisciplinary programs will receive a survey link on Wednesday, 10/25/2023, that will allow them to submit their course selections.  This survey link will remain open until 9AM ET on Wednesday, 11/01/2023.  If you miss the survey deadline, you must contact Becky Wilson to request your permits via email.  Late submissions will not be issued until after registration has started, so it is to your benefit to submit the survey prior to the deadline.

PhD students can request up to TWO CS/CSE courses.

MS students can request up to FOUR CS/CSE courses.

The College staff will process the permit requests prior to the opening of the time tickets for graduate students.  It is a MANUAL process that will take SEVERAL DAYS to complete, so please be patient.

The Permit Restrictions will NOT be removed during this phase of registration.

The Major Restrictions will NOT be removed during this phase of registration.

Phase I registration will end on December 15 at 4PM ET.

We know this is not ideal, but the hoarding behavior of some graduate students, and the unavoidable limitations of the registration system, make these measures necessary.

**You must limit your course search to “Georgia Tech-Atlanta” campus, so you aren’t seeing classes for which you are unable to register. Do not choose any sections that are not offered on Georgia Tech-Atlanta campus​​**


Permit Forms

We will be using DocuSign for all paper permit forms during this phase of registration.  Please click here for DocuSign instructions.

The form will be routed automatically to other recipients to review and sign. Once competed, all recipients receive the signed and completed form via email. You can check the progress of the form in your DocuSign account.

Please note that no academic credit will be given to grad students for 1000, 2000, or 3000 level courses.  For 4000 level courses, please check your academic program’s rules to see if they will count for you.


Undergraduate BSMS CS Students

BSMS students who are graduating from BSCS in Fall 2023 and will be starting the MSCS program in Spring 2024: you will not register for classes until Phase II registration in (when all new graduate students register).  More information about registration will be sent out in advance of Phase II registration.

Permits for graduate classes for undergraduate students require SENIOR class standing.  Please do not request permits if you are not a senior by hours.

Returning BSMS students- permits for graduate courses will be processed during Phase I (after graduate time tickets open) if received during Phase I.  Please remember that one permit is issued by CoC, the other by Registrar, so there may be a gap in between receipt of the two permits.

New BSMS students admitted in Fall 2023- permits for graduate courses will be processed during Phase I IF ADMITTED before the end of Phase I registration, AND if you are a Senior by hours.  Otherwise, they will be processed during Phase II.

Please limit the number of permit requests to a maximum of 4 courses. 


Spring 2024 Permit Timeline

October 25- Spring 2024 Schedule goes live to view on OSCAR, Permit survey link is sent to all returning CoC graduate students and associated interdisciplinary programs

November 1, 9AM ET- Deadline to submit permit survey

November 2- Time Tickets post to OSCAR for Phase I registration

November 2-6- permits requested via permit survey will be issued

November 6- Spring 2024 Registration begins.

November 7- Graduate time tickets open

November 8-permit entry for admitted undergraduate BSMS CS students will begin/permits for continuing graduate students who missed the survey submission deadline will be issued.

December 15, 4PM ET- Phase I registration ends

Permits for non-BSMS undergraduate students requesting graduate classes will not be issued during this phase of registration.  Permits for any undergraduate student requesting graduate classes for which they do not meet the major restrictions will also not be issued during this phase of registration (meaning, if you are a CS student and you request a class that does not include “Computer Science” in the major restrictions, no permit will be issued during Phase I).



8903 Special Problems Research Form This form allows a student to register for a specified 8903 section
6999 MSCS Project Form This is the form to complete when you are proposing your MS project.  This form only needs to be completed the FIRST time you register for project hours
7000 MSCS Thesis Form This is the form to complete when you are proposing your MS thesis.  This form only needs to be completed the FIRST time you register for thesis hours
3000/4000 level form This is the form grad students who want to take a 3000/4000 level CS/CX course must complete.  The form must be completed by the course instructor.
1000/2000 level form This is the form grad students who want to take a 1000/2000 level CS course must complete.  The form must be completed by the course instructor.
COC_Undergrad Graduate Course Request form This form is for Undergraduate students who wish to take a graduate level course, including BSMS students.  NOTE:  Only Seniors with an overall GPA of at least 2.7 are eligible


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I am aAtlanta campus student. Can I take an “online” class? 

A: No, students cannot mix campuses, which means Atlanta campus students cannottake “online” classes. 

Online is a separate campus and is only for students admitted into online programs such as OMSCS. Online classes are noted in OSCAR and the section begins withO. Do not choose any sections that begin with “O”. When you are searching for classes, make sure to choose "Georgia Tech –Atlanta*" for the campus, so youwill only see the eligible courses.  This is a registration system issue and cannot be overridden. 


Q: How do I check which permits I’ve been issued?

A: Step 1. Log onto Buzzport

Step 2. Under the “Student” tab select “Registration – Oscar” link

Step 3. Select “Student Services & Financial Aid”

Step 4. Select “Registration”

Step 5. Select “Prepare for Registration” 

Step 6.  Select the Term

Step 7.  View your “Registration Status” and any permits on your account will show under the “Permit Override” section.  If you do not have any permits on your account, the “Permit Override” section will not show.  


Q:  What do I do if a Course is CLOSED?

A:  Once the registration cap has been reached for a course, the course is full. In order to request a seat in a closed course, you must follow the instructions below.  We DO NOT accept requests for overrides.


Q: Can a professor help me get into the course?

A:  Please DO NOT email a professor to seek permission to enroll in his/her course, as professors have no control over this.


Q: What does this error message mean?

A:  If you try to register for a course and receive an error message, please refer to the link: for an explanation of what the message means.


Q: How do I add myself to the waitlist of a full course?

A: You can find the step-by-step directions and a video that explains the process here:


Q: What if the class and the waitlist are both full?

A:  The only thing you can do in this situation is wait until something opens up.


Q: I am not a CoC major, but I want permission to take a class.  How do I do that?

A:  See above for information about when major restrictions will be removed.


Q: I am a graduate student.  Can I take the undergraduate version of a course that is cross-listed with both undergrad and grad sections?

A:  If you are a grad student, you should take the grad section of a cross-listed course.


Q: When are waitlists removed from classes?

A:  Waitlists are usually removed from classes on the Thursday before Phase II registration ends.


Q. I understand that students appear on waitlists in the order that they attempt to register.  Is that initial order ever changed?

 A. Yes. Students may be move up on waitlists for classes that they must take to satisfy an undergraduate thread requirement, an MS specialization core or elective class, or to prepare for the PhD qualifying exam.


Q.  Can I register for a CoC graduate-level course if I didn't receive a permit?

A.  If you were not issued a permit for Phase I, this does NOT mean you cannot take the course.  You can continue to try to register for your courses during Phase II registration.