Undergraduate Academic Policies, Procedures, and Forms

Advanced Standing and Placement Exams

The CS department offers Placement Exams for CS 1301 and CS 1371 in Fall semesters.

Advanced Standing Examinations for CS 1301, CS 1331, and CS 1371 are offered in Fall and Spring Semesters.
Only first semester freshmen are eligible for Placement Examinations. All other students must take advanced Standing exams.
Summer First year students can take placement exams in the fall.
Students are not eligible to take an Advanced Standing exam for a CS courses after attempting the course at Georgia Tech and receiving a letter-grade or “W”.

Fall 2024 Advanced Standing Information


ExamDateTimeLocationExam FormatExam TopicsSign Up link
CS 1301Monday, August 19, 20245:00 PMN/AOnlineClick hereClick here
CS 1371Monday, August 19, 20245:00 PMN/AOnlineClick hereClick here
CS 1331Tuesday, August 20, 20245:00 PMN/AOnlineClick hereClick here


Please direct any questions not answered above to advising@cc.gatech.edu.


Change of Major/Declare a Secondary Major

The Institute is exercising its right as indicated in the Catalog policy that addresses the Change of Major to place conditions on the BS in Computer Science program. This is due to high demand for the BS in Computer Science major. First-year students who are admitted Summer 2024, Fall 2024 and beyond will not have the option to change their major to the BS in Computer Science and must plan accordingly. This does not apply to 2024 first-year applicants who applied with a primary major in Computer Science and were admitted. It also does not apply to continuing students. Continuing students, admitted prior to Summer 2024, will follow the existing Computer Science process for changing their major. Transfer students are not eligible for the one unrestricted change of major. 

Students interested in changing majors to CS or declaring CS as a secondary major must sign up to change their major by completing the module and application.

Students interested in changing majors to CM or declaring CM as a secondary major must follow the change of major process at the link above.

Grade Mode Change

All course work must be taken for a letter grade with the exception of CS 1100 and free electives. Students can use up to 6 hours of free electives as pass/fail if you meet GT Institute regulations. Students have until the midpoint of the semester as identified on the Registrar’s calendar to meet with their advisor to have their grade mode changed.

Changing Grade Mode Form

Students can use Docusign to complete this form: https://esignature.gatech.edu/

Grade Substitution

Undergraduate students who receive a grade of D or F in a course are eligible to repeat the course and have the original grade excluded from the computation of the academic average if certain conditions are met. View the full policy under rules and regulations on the registrar's website. After receiving a grade in the course you are retaking, schedule an appointment with your advisor to have the grade substitution form completed before midpoint of the semester as identified on the Registrar’s calendar.

• Grade Substitution Form

Students can use Docusign to complete this form: https://esignature.gatech.edu/

Graduation Application

In order to graduate from Georgia Tech, you must apply using the Online Application for Graduation (OAG).  CS students will be invited to attend a special OAG meeting with the advisors and CM students are invited to meet with their advisor, Wes Kirkbride

International Plan

The International Plan is Georgia Tech's globally-focused degree designation for students interested in making global competence a core part of their GT experience. Interested students should contact Daurette Joseph to set up an academic plan.

• International Plan Website

Midterm U’s

Students with more than one Midterm U will have a hold placed on their account.  Students will need to meet with their advisor to have the hold removed.  Schedule an appointment with an advisor. 

Find you advisor's contact information in our Undergraduate Advisor Directory.

Petition to the Faculty

Students use this form when asking for an exception to an Institute or college rule or policy. 

Contact your advisor for submission information. 

Readmission Application

A CS/CM Readmission Application is required for students on Academic Dismissal. This is in addition to the readmission requirements found on the registrar's website. Please complete the application below and submit to Daurette Joseph.

Research Option

The Research Option offers students the opportunity for an in-depth, long-term research experience that culminates in a final paper or thesis.

Students who want to use the Research Option for Junior Design should sign up for CS 4699.


Tutoring is available through the College of Computing for CS 1301, CS 1331, CS 1332, CS 2050, CS 2110, and CS 2200.  You can request a tutor on the tab below.  The Center for Academic Success offers 1-1 tutoring for 80 undergraduate courses.  You can sign up online at: http://success.gatech.edu/tutoring/1-to-1/courses-supported

Undergraduate Senior Request Form to Register for a Graduate Course

With permission from the instructor, senior students (90+ hours) with a minimum GPA 2.7 may take a graduate level course.  DocuSign will be used in place of the paper Undergraduate Senior Request form. Follow the link below and scroll down to Paper Permit Forms section.

Undergraduate Research Request Form for CS 2698, CS 2699, CS 4698, CS 4699, or CS 4903

For students requesting a permit for undergraduate research, follow the link below and scroll down to requesting research permits for instructions on completing the form in DocuSign.

CS 4699 is also used to fulfill the research option of Junior Design.

Withdraw from an individual class/ Withdraw from all classes

Students interested in withdrawing from an individual course with a grade of “W” can do so at Oscar.gatech.edu by the midpoint of the semester as identified on the Registrar’s calendar.

Students interested in withdrawing from all classes should schedule an appointment to meet with an advisor before the Withdrawal Deadline identified on the Registrar’s calendar.  Georgia Tech requires students to sit out one semester after a full withdrawal or a petition to the faculty requesting for an immediate return.

Anticipated Course Offerings

Please click here to view the anticipated course offerings in the CS department. 

Note that schedule changes are dynamic and students should continue to check OSCAR before and during registration periods for scheduling updates.

ABET Accreditation

Click here to view the ABET Accreditation for Student Outcomes and Program Objectives for BS Computer Science and BS Computational Media

Contact - Undergraduate Advisors