Create an Application for Changing Majors to Computer Science
We are excited that you are interested in joining the College of Computing undergraduate community. Georgia Tech Computing is a Top 10 program in computing education and research. We offer an innovative curriculum with dedicated, world-class faculty. In the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science degree, you will choose two Threads that will combine general computer science instruction with specialized courses tailored to your interests and aimed at real-world computing opportunities.
We look forward to meeting you!
-The CoC Advising Team
- Change of Major Policies and Eligibility
- Change of Major: Application Process and Procedures
- Change of Major: Application Window Information and Module
- Sign up Window and Communication Timetables, Fall 2021
- Registration for students changing majors to Computer Science
- All students must complete the mandatory Change of Major module to declare Computer Science as a major. These modules are for matriculated students only. You must be currently attending courses at Georgia Tech.
- Double Majors: To double major, all major related courses in a student's primary major must be completed with a letter grade, with the exception of students pursuing a double major in CS and Math.
- Core curriculum classes as defined by the University System of GA can still be outstanding.
- Students can apply to graduate with their primary major but are responsible for canceling their active application for graduation to continue with Computer science as a secondary major. Consult with an advisor on how to cancel an active graduation application.
- CS and Math double majors cannot do Modeling/Simulation or Theory as a Thread.
- CS and EE/CMPE double majors cannot do Devices or Information Internetworks as a Thread.
- Students can take computer science courses while not declared as a computer science major via normal registration procedures. See Computer Science registration website for details.
- Students must be in good academic standing, meaning cannot be on Academic Warning, Probation, or Dismissal.
- It is recommended that ALL students complete an intro computing course (CS1301/1315/1371) with a grade of “C” or higher before changing majors to CS. It is REQUIRED for sophomores-seniors changing majors into CS.
- Transfer students must complete at least one semester at Tech and be in good Academic Standing before changing into Computer Science.
- Students are welcome to complete the Change of Major module for informational purposes.
Students must complete the module, application, and have been contacted by a member of the CoC advising team, and submit the required documentation in collaboration with the CoC advising team in order to complete the Change of Major process.
The Change of major process is as follows:
- Complete the module and application during the application window that is posted on the website (at the end of the next section).
- Wait until a member of the advising team has reached out to you via email as they will give you further instructions on how to complete the process.
- Complete the process according to the emailed instructions provided by the advisor.
Note: There is no change of major meeting and forms sent to advisors outside of this posted procedure will not be processed, even if the module has been completed.
- After completing the module, students may submit a Change of Major Form up until the end of the current academic year (Fall-Spring-Summer). A new academic year begins each summer and students are required to complete the module again once a new academic year begins.
- Only eligible students, or students who meet current change of major requirements, should complete the COM form.
General inquiries should go to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students can take the module multiple times, but should only fill out one (1) application.
- If/when maximum capacity is reached, then applications will be disabled until the next available application range and students should sign up then.
- Students who visit this page outside of the application window can still view the module, but will need to redo the module when the application window reopens in order to apply.
- The module will be updated with the applications during the date range listed below and accepted until maximum capacity is reached.
Eligible Students who complete the change of major application will be contacted via email by an advisor by the date as indicated below. with additional information including the change of major instructions.
Students who do not currently meet the requirements to change to CS should follow those instructions after they meet the requirements to change to CS.
|Application windows and student contacts will|
|follow the dates as posted below:|
|App window||January 17-January 21|
|Student contact by||February 4th|
|App window||February 14-February 18|
|Student contact by||March 4th|
|App window||March 14-March 18|
|Student contact by||April 1st|
|App window||April 11-April 15|
|Student contact by||April 29th|
Students who are changing majors to computer science can still register for computer science courses during registration.
Students can perform a 'what if' scenario and also consult this page to strategize for the upcoming semester, by focusing on outstanding core requirements and CS 1331.
The CS Department does not provide overloads or permits; students will have to utilize normal registration procedures to access courses.
Contact - Undergraduate Advisors